Short arm machine needles

BethDurand

Hi everyone,

My friend Sara here has a short arm machine. A Brother machine on a B-line quilting frame. Wooden frame if that makes a difference. What type of needle do you recommend? We were talking about types of needles, would the singer needles that we use be too big for her machine? Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Beth -- What does the owner's manual or needle pack say on it? Round shank or flat-back like a DSM?

As an example, most DSM use a 130/705 series of needle, a Mega-Quilter uses a HL x 5 series. You know the APQS series. All has to do with needle length, eye position, and shank type, and strength.

Johnmach

In mine I only used either the 90/14 or 90/16 depending on the batting....just regular Schmetz needles. Also is it either Green Top or Blue tops that are quilting needles? I'm sorry its been a few years since I had my Brother machine and now the DSM short arm machine I uses the industrial needles so I can't remember the top colors.

Bonnie arent you suppose to be taking care of that back! I really feel for you.. I am having the same problems, I can only stand for about a hour my Liberty before taking a break! I wake up in the morning thinking my husband kicked me in the back all night! LOL Take care... You are right about the Needles for the Short Arm.

I'm assuming that you mean the Brother 1500. When I had a similar set-up, I found that the best needles were Schmetz denim size 16. These are sharps. The universal needles were not sharp enough and sometimes pushed the batting through.

Originally posted by BethDurand

Hi everyone,

My friend Sara here has a short arm machine. A Brother machine on a B-line quilting frame.

Archived