APQS vs Gammill

It is always preference. Try all machines. Some have owned APQS and went to Gammill, and vice versa. You have to make the decision on which machine feels right to you. Of course, you have posted this message on the APQS web site so get ready, you are going to get all kinds of messages from APQS Reps and Dealer.

I like the APQS machines because they are American made. They are light weight. The customer service is the best. They are machines so sometimes you have to tweek them, and the APQS is very easy to work on, if needed. The others may be too, never tried. Stitch quality is very good. These machines are not particular about the type of thread...they work well with almost every thread on the market.

Have you tried all machines yet? And have narrowed it down to APQS or Gammill? Go to shows, try them all!!

Mary Beth is right, it's a matter of personal feel and opinion. We have two APQS machines and like them so much we've become dealers for the company. These longarms are conceived, designed, and hand-built in Carroll, IA with an attention to detail that would amaze you.

The technology and mechanical perfection are what attract me. Margie just loves the way they sew.

There's a renowned custom quilter in our area who we talked to before we bought our first machine several years ago. She said, "I would never consider anything but a Gammill or APQS." Her machine - APQS.

You should also spend some time on this forum. It's without equal for information, friendship, and support.

Good luck deciding.

mrmargie

Hello, Moochie and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Mary Beth. You have to try the machines before you buy them. If you are not in a place where you could rent these machines, then try them out at a show. It is a big investment and you want to make the choice that is right for you.

Before I bought my Bernina, there were 2 things that I wanted more than anything; needle up/down and memory stitch. Those are the features that I compared in all brands that I tried. Bernina just felt better to me.

I am one of the Gammill gals on this forum. I had 2 used APQS Ultimate I machines on 14 ft tables and loved them. When I was ready to buy, I thought about the features I wanted most.

-- I wanted a stitch regulator that I could not outrun and had great stitch quality

-- I have long arms so I wanted a big throated machine but smaller table (12 ft).

--And I wanted a bigger bobbin and a bobbin alarm to tell me when I only had 10 yds of thread left.

It makes me crazy to look up from a panto and find that I ran out of bobbin thread 6 inches ago. Grrr:mad:

So I bought the Gammill Optimum Plus with a 30 inch throat, 215 yds bobbins and a wonderful stitch regulator.

Though the Gammill cast-aluminum mold is created in Taiwan, the machine is assembled in the U.S. Gammills are heavier than APQS machines but they still glide like they are on glass. They use way more oil than APQS and they will leave oil spots on the table in the "park" position.

There is a feature that only APQS has. That is this APQS chat forum. As Mr. Margie said "It's without equal for information, friendship, and support." I completely agree.

So would I recommend Gammill over APQS? No. You have to try the machines that interest you and buy what feels good to you.

Good luck and Happy Quilting.

Moochie

I went from a Juki with a Bline frame to a Lenni. What a world of difference. I know you said a 12 ft frame and the Lenni only comes in a 10 ft frame. I am so happy with my upgrade and can't believe the difference between the two setups. My Juki is a great machine and never gave me any trouble but there is no comparison between a LA and a DSM on a frame. It opens up a whole new world to you. I am sure if you do your homework you will make a good decision. you can't go wrong with either machine. Jeanne

Mary Beth is right... since you posted this question on the APQS website, most of your responses are going to be pro APQS. Same thing will happen if you post on a Gammill site. Linda is right, too [such smart ladies]. You should test all the machines. It really is all a matter of preference and what works for YOU. Make a list of what you want in a machine and don't be in a hurry to make a decision because you might feel pressured. It's an investment and a lot of thought and research should go into this type of decision. Good luck:)

I started w/the Gracie and a Juki too. Took about 4 months for me to say enough. Just couldn't do enough stuff w/the small throat. I researched the machines and narrowed it down to APQS and Gammill. Now I wish I would have tested an A-1 too. I would still like to test one of those. Anyway, I chose the APQS partly because of the thread cutter. I now know that it's doesn't work all of the time and I have learned that I just have to accept that because there is nothing than can be done about it. The place where I tested had both the APQS & Gammill. The husband used the APQS. I was told the Gammill was a little more tempermental when it came to humidity (lots in MN in the summer) and some days it just wouldn't work. That sold me on the APQS. I don't have time for temper tantrums when I spend $15,000. I like my Milli but have had a few problems. It runs really well now and we get along quite well. I can run nearly any thread I want and it keeps on ticking. Count me as a staisfied customer and this chat site in really quite good.

The thing that sold me on APQS was being able to adjust the tension so easily that I could have a different color thread on top vs bottom. The Gammill manual even states that this is a problem and to use the same color. I didn't want to be limited in thread color choice. I've been very happy with my APQS.

Julia

I just returned home from the AQS show in Des Moines and is my head spinning!! I am a Gammill owner and a sales rep for them but I tried every machine at the show and actually loved a couple of them.....I still prefer my machine and will not trade it in but if I were starting over....would definitely try them all before I purchased one. I spoke with JoAnn Hoffman...Jamie Wallen...Renae Haddadin.......I'm star- struck and just plain on overload!!!

I chose my Gammill/Statler because the dealer is 15 minutes from me. I did not test drive any other machine. From experience with my DSM, I knew I needed to be near a reputable service center because NO machine is without problems. I'm a happy customer and would encourage you to listen to all the comments on your thread. BUT, I would strongly suggest that you check with your nearest dealer, no matter what brand it is. When it's service you need, you don't want to have to wait days and weeks for someone to come, or worse have to ship it from one coast to the other to get service. Just food for thought.

Originally posted by gable428

Moochie, what does "UL approved" mean?

Underwriters Laboratories

http://www.ul.com/

Not sure a longarm quilting machine "needs" to be UL approved... That statement might be a marketing scheme to sway you to the competitor....

Sure, I would want things like my safety belt or air bags in my car to be UL tested and approved; or the respirator I wear on the job to protect me from inhaling contaminated air... I would want that to be UL approved... or the fire extinguisher I use to put out a small fire ...I would want that to be UL approved. But a longarm? Hmmm....

Archived