NQR- Warning to those with leaves on the ground

I know many of you already have snow on the ground right now, so this is for the people in areas where the temperature is still warm.. like here in southeast Missouri where it has been in the high 70's and 80's. One of my hubby's hunting buddies sent this to us. It shows the danger of just simply walking through the fallen leaves. Can you see the snake?? I'll post the outlined snake pic in another post for those who don't see it.

<a  href=2654053650047028685S600x600Q85.jpg' alt=

We also have a lot of venomous snakes here too... copperheads, rattlers, water moccasons... We have a lot of harmless snakes too, and those don't bother me. The first thing I look for is the head because the venomous snakes who live in my area have a larger triangular shaped head... though this is not true with coral snakes, mambas, cobras, adders, or sea snakes because they have fixed hollow fangs instead of the folding fangs of pit vipers. Probably way more snake info than you wanted to know... LOL!!! If the snake is not a threat to my family and animals, then I will just move it to the field and away from the house/yard. Sadly, the pit vipers meet an early death though.... :cool:

Tina - Nope, I missed it..... a baby garter snake starteld me the other day. I almost caught it for the girls to play with for a bit. Then we let them go. I was surprised to see such a small one this time of year....

When we have nasty, mean agressive Bull snakes (thats what I have always heard them called) around here - they get a real close-up view of my shovel!

Oh Kenna - Scorpions!!!!!! That is one critter I never want to have to check and see if it is in my shoe - No way!! My husband used to live in Texas..... he worked for Texas Instruments in another life.

Wow, I didn't see that one!! I hate snakes, no matter what kind.

We went to South Carolina to see my sister and brother-in-law the first part of September. I was in their yard walking our dog, with just my flip-flops on without a care in the world. My husband went out shortly after and found a baby water maccason all coiled up, about the size of a half dollar. It met up with a shovel!! I hadn't even thought about snakes...how stupid is that??:o:o I shudder to think what would have happened if Bere (our Fench bulldog pup) had seen the snake. He won't leave anything alone!

I saw it right away, but I couldn't make out the head. I'm a little squeamish about snakes. Don't like them.

When I was a child, my dad was a logger in Alabama and used to bring home the heads of rattlers he killed in the woods. I liked to look at them, but was terribly afraid of them.

I sure couldn't see it--what kind is it? We live in SW Ohio and the first fall in this house I found many many garter snakes...have only seen two snakes since...(probably the key word is SEE) both some kind of water snake....and that scares me too! Jane

We are just about at the end of our 2 1/2 month stay in North Carolina and the leaves are so beautiful! But I didn't think about snakes until walking the dogs down the road (no leaves) and there was a dead snake! All of a sudden I thought aobut all the walks we have taken with the dogs in the ankle deep leaves looking for golf balls (stirring the leaves with sticks). Ok, not the smartest idea with slimy snakes sneaking around! :( I will wear boots and try to keep the dogs out of the leaves from now on!

UGH!! I hate snakes!

Originally posted by VictoriaG

I guess anyplace with 3 or more months of snow doesn't have large venomous snakes.

vg

Oh you are so wrong about that.....We have diamond backs in Montana....and we have way more than 3 months of snow. The only good thing about Rattlesnakes is there is a warning before the strike...these snakes in the picture, don't have rattles, and they aren't fun to come across....

I don't know if this is the good kind or not, really can't see its head, but last year I had what I called a gopher snake...it could have been one of the Milk Snakes (same type of pattern) for all I know crawl across the toe of my shoe in the lawnmower shed...had no idea it was there till I looked down and there it was. It was after the mouse I had just seen.

I was taught to freeze when you see a snake....and I froze so fast and it took me a few minutes to realize it was a harmless snake, but still it got the blood to pumping.

Oh Yes, Snakes are trying to find a good place to hide for the winter and they can be anoying and some dangerous. The rat snakes here are a pain but harmless. Tho they can get 6' long and look scary. They get in sheds, barns, well houses and under houses and in houses. I had a 6' rat snake come in under my house with radiator pipes coming in rooms. My son have a lizzard about a foot long aguana. Anyway my oldest was a senior and working nights. He can home and sat on the bed and taking shoes off and seen something from the corner of his eye. When he looked over to lizzard he did not see anything and then he looked over again and seen snake in back of aquarium( 5') He came in my bedroom I was asleep and he came sceeming at me. His eyes were as big as golf balls. Needless to say he did not sleep in room for a month.I sealed off that little gap around pipe. :) My other sons were on tramplin and all of a sudden seen that snake come out from under house and was under tramplin. When I came house from work they had killed it. Just could not believe how long it was. It was intimitating. Being scare is one thing but still able to control the situation, lol;)Don't bet on that, cold places with mountains have caves and rocks will have them under. Rattle snakes, kings, copperheads, etc.you just don't see as many with wide open spaces and lots of room to hide. .

Well now I have just another good reason for living in N. Idaho. No poisonous snakes. An occasional spider bite, but I haven't even heard of anyone getting bit by a brown recluse. Nope, I'll just stay where I am thank you very much. I hate snakes, scorpions, centipedes, any of those slimy critters. Nope. No way.:o:o:o

Nancy

Kathy in Nevada...

My SIL's mother & step dad live in Nevada, Roy and Rosemary Thompson.

I spotted the snake. I have a bad phobia too and constantly looking for them in our yard. The day my daughter got married at our house we walked out the front door with the last couple leaving around midnight and when I turned to go back in the front door there was this huge black snake attached to the house right next to the door. Talk about a blood curdling scream.....I almost wet my pants.

This is a quote from the Missouri Dept. of Conservation's web site....

Have they lost thier minds :D I know we should leave them alone....but if they are within arms length of me....they may not make it :P:D

Killing a Snake: IS THAT LEGAL?

Chapter 4 of Missouri's Wildlife Code, rule 3 CSR 10-4.110 reads:"No bird, fish, amphibian, reptile, mammal or other form of wildlife, including their homes, dens, nests and eggs in Missouri shall be molested, pursued, taken, hunted, trapped, tagged, marked, enticed, poisoned, killed, transported, stored, served, bought, sold, given away, accepted, possessed, propagated, imported, exported or liberated to the wild in any manner, number, part parcel or quantity, at any time, except as specifically permitted by these rules and any laws consistent with Article IV, sections 40-46 of the Constitution of Missouri."

This inclusive piece of legal prose recognizes the importance of all wildlife. It prohibits all use of wildlife, unless specifically permitted by a rule in Missouri's Wildlife Code. Only under very limited circumstances is it permissible to kill a snake in Missouri. Rule 3 CSR 10-4.130 establishes provisions for capturing or killing wildlife that is damaging private property. A black rat snake that is beyond a reasonable doubt eating your chicken eggs would be an example of a snake damaging your property.

Missouri's Wildlife Code provides broad protection for wildlife and encourages a common sense approach to wildlife problems and management.

It says, "including their homes," which is even a bird nest, I found out. Where I work there is a bird nest near an electrical outlet. I reported it as a fire hazard, to be removed. The reply was, "We can .....blah, blah, blah!" Missouri is sure different than Iowa. I am from Iowa (my whole life!), and we moved to MO 2 years ago. Still adjusting, but love the winters here!

A snake found on my doorstep ONCE would be meeting his maker....sorry, I have no sympathy for a snake....and this even includes the harmless ones....I'm really not able to tell the good ones from the bad ones, other than a rattlesnake, DUH...and like Mary Beth said, arms length is about 2 foot too close.

And if I lived in Missouri...I would be breaking the law... and I wouldn't care.

Archived