NQR - Santa Ana winds = Fires in SoCal

Well, it's that time of year again. San Diego an Imperial counties get these Santa Ana winds and we have our wild fires. Witch Creek fire, a year ago Oct 20, was caused by downed power lines resulted in lost lives, damage, many lost homes and long days evacuated from our homes.

We currently have fires in 3 of our communities (Jamul, Oceanside and Fallbrook) and the winds are still here. I could see the Oceanside smoke from my house last night. We learned some lessons on the 2 big fires in the last 4 years but apparently Ramona Water District is still in Pollyanna mode, because we still do not have a backup pump or backup generator for our water service. San Diego Gas & Electric decided to cut power to areas with high winds (no doubt to minimize their liability to further law suits) but without electricity, Ramona residents do not have water. We just got an injunction against that action. A bunch of forward-thinkers on the Ramona Water District...don't get me started.

We still have some lessons to learn here regarding fire danger.

I ask for your prayers for those in danger, our firefighters, military clearing the brush to make fire breaks and for the families displaced by these fires. I pray that the winds die down and that we can limit the fires spread.

Linda - how close are you to the fires? I always watch for what is going on down there. Fires this time of year and who knows when the earthquakes hit. Our place is in La Quinta and we don't have the fires. Have had a few earthquakes since I have been going down, but nothing too great. My sister is in Oceanside and I always worry about her when fire season hits.

Take care and I hope the fires are controlled shortly - they just seem to go one forever!

Archived