'skipping' stitches

I know that i have seen information on this before, so I will begin with an apology for asking the same question that I am sure has been answered on more than one occasion.

That being said, my millie is not agreeing with me. I just finished a whole cloth quilt and had no trouble with the issue of skipping stiches. Now that i am doing one for a new nephew the machine is acting out. I have the SR on 9 and have tried it all the way to 12 but still have the issue of skipping stitches. Tammie came over and we gave the thing a once over cleaning. It has been sitting since June because of i broke my ankle, but i wouldn't think that sitting for a few weeks would have made that much difference. The skipping happens sparactically (sp?), no difference in speed or direction.

sorry for the rambling ya'll, any help is appreciated.

THANKS A MILLION!

Hi Manda, I wondered where you went. Broken ankle, ouch!

When I get skipped stitches it is usually debris in the bobbin area and I just blow it out and use a brush to get all the lint out.

The other possibility is there is something on the encoder sensor rings/wheels; I don't know the term in APQS. I have had a teensy-weensy crack in my encoder o-ring that caused the machine not to sense movement for a split-second thus skipping a stitch. I also had that happen when an encoder wheel (wheel that touches the encoder) had a tiny pinhole. When the encoder came in contact with that hole, it did not sense movement and so it did not stitch. Now, I'm talking tiny hole or tiny crack. I'm sure that the encoders on APQS are as sensitive as Gammill, it is what enables the stitch quality. Get out your magnifying glass and check those encoders (rings and wheels). :D

Hi Manda

I'm sorry about your ankle that must hurt but its good to know you are up and about again.

As to the skipped stitches. First you need to find out if you really have "skipped" stitches or "long" stitches.

Skipped stitches relate to the timing of the needle with the hook assembly but long stitches are when the rubber encoder wheel doesn't connect consistently with the inside of the carriage wheel.

Can you tell if the needle is going through the fabric leaving evenly spaced needle holes. - skipped stitches - the needle isn't picking up the bobbin thread, or leaving unevenly spaced needle holes the rubber encoder isn't connecting consistently with the inside curve of the carriage wheel.

Good luck

sue in australia

Archived