marking quilts

I'm new to this sight,but have been enjoying as well as learning. I notice people talking about templates but nothing about what you use to mark with. It's been very hard for me to mark on someone's quilt. I have been useing a grey charcoal and removeing it with a pet sponge. So far So good. Just wondered what others use.

Hello -

I use chalk - white chalk for darker fabrics, and black light chalk for lighter fabrics. I've tried different markers, sure wish the industry could manufacture a sure-fire marking tool for quilts.

I have also, on occasion, used blue markers for fine detail, when chalk just wouldn't work. I have a handout I give about the blue marker when I've used it. That's not very often, tho.:)

My own personal goals are to get very good at freehanding designs, and away from needing to mark them. Nearly 90% of my business now is from the freehand work, so my customers seem to like the direction I'm headed, too.

You can get the black light and black light powder/chalk from Kingsmen Supply, fyi.

Deb

http://www.thequiltdiva.com

I use blue washaway markers allot and I mean allot! I always pre-test though and suggest that you do also. Many things such as not pre-washing the fabrics or ironing the fabrics with starch or sizing can affect the ability to successfully remove the markers. And keep the sun away from your quilts while the marks are still on the quilt! I have sky lights and although I live in WA. State, the sun does indeed shine and heat sets the marks! I also use a dairy queen blizzard teaspoon full of baking soda in my garden sprayer to mist away the marks as soon as they are not needed. If you have chemicals in your water, use filtered water, but always test for yourself.

Other things I like to use are some new water soluble chalk pencils. They come in a variety of colorations but I have only tried the white. The marks remove very nicely with a damp lint free cloth. The brand I have is Clover. Another Clover product I like very much for dark fabrics is the Clover white marking pen. These marks disappear with steam and they mark a clear fine white line. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

And to echo what Deb says...plain ol dust free school type chalk is nice to have if you do not need a detailed line.

Thanks for the info on marking quilts. Ihave an APQS ultima I. I have felt I was way out in left field by my self. There are other quilters in the area and I ask some questions but have felt intimadeted, frustrated and never feel my work is good enough. My customers seem to be happy with my work and keep comeing back. I think all of you on this sight have helped me a lot, Thanks bunches! Keep up the good work and I hope we continue to stick together and help each other.

Guest Linda S

I have always used the blue markers that wash out with water on my quilts for hand-quilting. I've heard horror stories about the ink re-appearing years later from others, but I've never had any trouble. Do you think this is because they never properly washed the ink out to begin with? I guess I will ask clients if they mind a certain product being used on their quilt and go with their preference and what is easiest for me to see. I figure if Sherry and Karen can use the blue markers on those sumptuously gorgeous quilts, that's gotta be good enough for me! :P

Linda

There are other quilters in the area and I ask some questions but have felt intimadeted, frustrated and never feel my work is good enough.

Audria

Please feel free to ask all the questions you want in this forum. I bet you money, we asked the same questions you have when we first started!

guess I will ask clients if they mind a certain product being used on their quilt and go with their preference and what is easiest for me to see.

Hi Linda

You just hit the nail on the head! It is all about consulting with your client, asking questions and being up front with your process.

I have a sheet that I typed up with all the info about the blue markers and explain that even though I spritz the markers with water and they appear to be gone, they may be lurking and waiting to appear years later. I go over all the possibilities for problems and explain that if they want the heavily marked quilting, I need to be able to use the markers and have them sign the sheet that I've gone over the potential problems and they've approved the use of the markers.

I will send my "form" to anyone who wants it . . just send me an e-mail (Judy@SunshineQuilts.com) and I will reply with a Word attachment.

I'm in the process of switching my web page so if it takes me a few days to respond, you might want to ask me again.

Good morning!

I have had the blue ink come back. I marked one of my own quilts with it, and then put it away with it still marked. Some 10 years later, I took it out, and the marks had turned brown. I tried everything, thinking the quilt was ruined. but I did find a product - Tek - at my grocery store that did take it out.

Could have been heat that set it, could just have been leaving it in that long. Granted, 10 years is quite a while, but I still advocate marking, quilting, getting rid of the mark. Don't let the marker stay in the quilt for very long.

I agree, Linda, if Sherry and Karen can use blue markers without a disaster, they must not be as bad as we all thought.

Deb

http://www.thequiltdiva.com

http://www.sunshinequilts.com/marker.html

I hope it works. Want to hear my sob story for today? I normally have good luck all the time but it sure seems that it has run out.

I've already told you all that I lost my entire web page trying to switch hosts. So, last night I was all set to try to get it all back together . . until the storm came. Electricity went out about 10:30 p.m. and came back on right before noon today.

After I got lunch done, I spent the rest of the day working on the web page til I had to leave tonight to go to the E.R. . . allergic reaction to something (I think I'm allergic to web pages!). Two shots and two hours later, I'm home and I *think* the web page might be back together.

Tomorrow will be better, right???

Guest Linda S

Judy -

Maybe you'd best sit still in one spot for a while! ;) You poor thing. You've certainly had a run of bad luck lately. I hope that little gray cloud is ready to move on now.

Thanks for the blue marker waiver info. It would be good to have something like this available for clients so that they can let you know if they mind if you use it or not.

Linda

• 1 year later...

I've had the worst luck with most marking tools. I never want to have a problem again, mostly I'm paranoid.

I use the purple air-erasable pens to mark on my zipper leaders the measurment from the center of the quilt I will be loading, I don't use them on quilts. I use the wash-out blue markers on practice samples never on a quilt. The sun shines in my studio and I also have spotlights that I'm scared to death will heat set a mark.

On quilts I use the new Miracle Chalk (either pounce, slivers, or crayon), black light pounce or pencils, pounce powder (if the blue it's mixed with alot of the white), and kids chalk. Another method I use is tracing through water soluable stabalizer with a Washable Crayola Marker and stitching through the stabalizer. I have this information written up and it is given to each customer. If there is any problem in using these methods we work out a plan where I don't have to mark.

I'll have to give the pens Sherri was talking about a try as it sounds like they work like the Miracle Chalk. jeri

Another lesson...you guys are SSO!! helpful. Going blue pen shopping.

Also, Audrie...you don't need to feel intimidated...I know the feeling though. I always thought my work isn't good enough.

UNTIL...I was in a speciality shop the other day where they machine quilt mega-numbers of quilts and I was keenly observing the quality of work....

I was SURPRISED!!! Not even as good as mine...evidently their customers and they themselves are happy with the quality as they have a back-log of customers..but I'd feel bad if I didn't do better than some of those

stitches....so go look at some other quilts done by others...bet you'll be

amazed how good your's stacks up against them...good luck.on what you

are doing.

And Judy...I requested a copy of the "marker form"...but heaven forbid...get

to feeling better before you tackle sending that out...I break out in hives from stress...that couldn't have been the problem, surely!

Jeri--when you use the chalks, PLEASE tell me how you keep them ON the quilt. :-) My husband very patiently held the pencil sharpener while I ground up chalk, and with a foam brush I painted it on thru a stencil and it was marvelous. But within a dozen stithces, and not going real fast, all the chalk had bounced off and I was looking at a blank fabric. My husband suggested spritzing the fabric with water first, then pouncing, or brushing on the chalk, but I want to check with you all first

thank you

Jan

The new Magic Chalk doesn't bounce off, but it only comes in white. I used to get so frustrated with the white just dissappearing. When your done you just pouf it off with your steam iron. Don't do like I did and add it to a pad that you already have regular chalk in--doesn't work right.

The black light pounce doesn't seem to bounce much either. I only use the blue occasionally and it doesn't seem to have the same bouncing properties.

I use the Haney pounce pads and rub it on through the stencil rather than pounce it. If you order these you now have a choice between the regular powder and the new one. I've tried the foam brush but end up with way too much chalk on the quilt--guess I'm just not co-ordinated enough (grins). I use a soft wallpaper brush and then an old school black board eraser to take off the blue and black lite marks.

Archived