Almost 1 year/remember when

Well it is almost 1 year since Karen McTavish set my machine up in the previous family room in our basement. I have learned a lot in a year of owning the Millie, and it feels so good to have some things under control...at least for the moment.

Think back to your first year of LA and tell us what you are happy you don't have to live over!

It felt like months before I really understood the tension thing and could start a quilt without lying on my back on the floor with a flashlight looking up to see if it looked OK...don't laugh...slow learner...could have rolled the quilt to look. YIKES...wouldn't you worry if I was your nurse?

It was a year at Labor day, and the learning curve ("rock wall") doesn't seem so steep in retrospect. Luckily for me I have a very good friend who got under my machine for me....at 63 she can sit like a little kid with her knees straight out and her legs curled back. I'd be stuck in that position forever!!!! Heck, I can't even get down on the floor, much less get up!

Glad I learned how to go slowly and really control the machine. Breathe... and be one with the machine!!! Love my edgeriders. Prefer to quilt from the front not the back, and it's great to know that all the mistakes or wobbles I see aren't seen by anyone else! Still hoping to get good at this.

LOL Holly, I thought you were talking about me sitting under the table with a flashlight :D .. I think I am getting better about that (my fingers and toes are crossed, just had a bad patch) It hasn't been a year for me yet, and I am hoping the tension thing will be the worst.

I did learn something new today that put me in a really good mood. I am learning to do patterns from the front using the pattern port ((http://www.patternman.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=542) which I think is fabulous by the way. I was having real trouble thinking the jumping and bumping had to be my wheels or something else. (not possibly my inexperience or the fact that I have been unjustly jonesing for the edgerider wheels, ha ha). I even brought my dh in to convince him there was a problems so he would buy me the wheels :D, No deal, he is an engineer and said if it were the wheels it would be bumpy when the machine wasn't quilting. He also mentioned that I might want to engage my larger muscles in my movements (what? :P)

So I experimented a bit with things I have read here and I also integrated some of my pottery making experience and realized there is truth in that... I just tucked my arms in close to my body (put my elbows next to my sides and held them there) and then followed the pattern that way. OMG! the control was unbelievalble. Wow...

For me, it has been a little over a year...and the biggest thing I have learned is probably the lesson I learned last weekend! It seems my machine completely locked up and would not budge. I tried cleaning with air, WD40 and oiling th eheck out of it... after setting in oil for the weekend, I managed to manhandle with a screwdriver (while having the company rep on th ephone telling me how to do it!) and got it running...my lesson? When you break a needle, FIND THAT NEEDLE POINT!!!!!

About 7 or 8 months ago I broke a needle and couldn't find the tip. I assumed it was in the carpet somewhere and went about my merry way (after retiming!) I had some strange tension problems since then. I wasn't changing anything, but the tension would be great for a while and then, mysteriously, become absolutly terrible...now that I found the tip of the needle, maybe my strange tension problems are over!!

I hope the learning curve is almost over!

Nini:mad:

I've been quilting a little over two years; I remember my first quilt and the fear of really messing it up. I was so glad when it was done. I think what I've learned the most is that we are our worst critics - the customer just wants her quilt done and "most" of the time doesn't care what you do on it and they always think it's beautiful. This year I'm also going to schedule my own quilts in my list as I still have a pile of tops to be done. I need to do some experimenting too!

Sharon

I have to admit that I am still scared to turn on the machine without the stitch regulator. It scares me when it just starts at full speed.

The Patternman is a great idea. Someone gave ma low cost version: two of those expandable white curtain rods so they hook over the two bars, you can glue plexiglass to the curtain rods and put the pattern on top. I really like the idea of the plastic that holds the pattern in place.

I learn something new here everyd ay.

Well, I've had my Millie for 3 years. In that first year I struggled with the tension. It wasn't really bad but wasn't really good either. Somewhere along the way the tension problems have all but disappeared. I don't know if it's because the machine has gotten broken in or if I've gotten more comfortable with making adjustments or both. Probably both.

I've been quilting on my millie since March and have taken customer quilts since May..so I am still pretty new....my biggest learning curve was learning to set the timming as the machine was missing screws and broke a needle and jammed the first time I turned it on. After I learned all about the timing, then I had to replace the mother boards, so I feel like I know all about my machine now.... I love to quilt on both the front and back of the machine, I feel pretty comfortable doing both but I do use the stitch regulator all the time. I think my biggest lesson is to say to yourself,

"yes I can do this" and your stitching will look good...when you doubt yourself, it shows in the stitching.

Vicki

Well, as I am still a newbie I don't have the benefit of looking back very far at what I have learned. I do, however, have the excitement of looking ahead to all those beautiful quilts waiting to be mastered as my experience level grows. You can probably tell I am a very optimistic person and never, never does the "I can't do this thought cross my brain cells", because I would be defeated right then and right there. My husband has learned over our 35 years of marriage, not to question me when I tell him I am going to do something or another. Regardless of whether I have ever done it or not makes no difference to me. I feel that whatever we set our minds to we can accomplish. Now I am not saying that it will be perfect the first time around but you can do anything that others can do if you only try and don't accept defeat. To me life is just one challenge after another waiting to be embarked upon and attitude is everything and a good positvie attitude is the best tool we have for success. I am not exactly sure where or why I am writing this but I feel maybe it is for someone who needs encouragement. love and prayers to all Jeanne

I've had my Nolting for less than 9 months so I'm still on a huge learning experience with it. I only tried working on the backside once, and I really didn't like it. I much prefer to work on the front side, to see what I'm doing. I was very proficient with my Janome 6500 and won ribbons with my quilts. It's taking me a while to adjust to moving the machine vs the quilt when it comes to doing feathers. All else (meandering, flowers, leaves, etc) has come much easier for me to manouver and become comfortable with. I LOVE the freedom of the room to quilt and the ease and speed I can complete a quilt now. I've done 3 customer quilts so far and 1 ready for the frame. I also have 5 that will be sent to me soon. I know I can do this as a business, I know I'm good and I can do this, but I am quite nervous to venture out with my flyers and business cards and making it "real".

My DH bought me an iPod 2 years ago and I use this often when I'm quilting. I listen to music and books and just finished the 3rd Harry Potter book (I've read them all at least once) this afternoon. I can bee bop along with an audio book when I read as well as I can with music. ;)

I seldom post, but I read the forum everyday.

Kelly

I like your business name very catchy. Just remember nothing ventured nothing gained. You said you know you can do this and that is all it takes for success. Congratulations on a postive attitud and get those business cards out there. They do you no good at home in a drawer. You go girl. JP

What's funny is, I still think of myself as "new", but when I do the math, I've been taking customer quilts for a year now. I'm glad that the nerves have settled. The first few customer quilts I think I held my breath the whole time. And I do remember that the first one, I'd do a pass (or half a pass) then have to leave the room for a bit 'cause I was soooooo nervous about screwing up!

Just in the last few months customer quilts have begun to come in very steady and I've had to learn how to schedule them. The hard part is saying when they'll be done and being right. I've taken to telling them a date, but also being very honest and saying that this is the first I've had a backlog so I'm green at figuring out how long it will take to quilt thier quilt, versus how much "Life" (translation hubby, PT job, & 3 kids, one each in elem. school, jr. high, and high school)

So far all have been very understanding -- even the lady who came to pick hers up yesterday - when I said it would be done by Oct. 1.

I have to say, knock on wood, that tension with Emmy & I has been fine from the start. For a teenager, she's quite reliable, LOL!! For that I'm very grateful!

Wow can it really be 2 years since Evie was set up? where does the time go. Thanks to Beth and Myrna and Linda R my tension issues seem to be finally under control and a HUGE thanks to Amy and her wonderful teaching at the maintenance class and her always being available, I can now undoe thread in the fly wheel, fix my wheels and all the other little things that go wrong that we are so scared of fixing ourselves. I also learned to breath and hold those handles without a death grip on them and just this past month learned that no one really notices the stitches that are not on the line when doing a panto but me. so I am about where I should be after a year instead of 2 but that is okay at least I am forging ahead instead of standing still.

to all of you newbies, it really does get easier and tension monsters really do go away. Just be like Elmo "keeping on keeping on"

Thank you Jeanne. My DH and I have an appliance repair business and are in our 26th year. Our logo started off with a Koala from a keychain I had. Well, the keychain went by the wayside long ago, but the Koala is still with us. I took the drawing and tweeked it and a lady digitized it for me. With the tree bark it was holding, I did a Jim Shore thing with it. I'll try to attach a pic. DH is the one that came up with the Koala-T to go along with my Koala.

2889183970014354102CoEXkq

KELLY

I would have guessed that you were a dealer or just an owner of the koala sewing cabinets before going into LA and just kept the name. That was my first thought about your business name. anyway good luck and keep putting those business cards out with a catchy name like that you will surely get noticed. Jeanne

Time does fly doesn't it. It has been just over a year since my Millie arrived. I still panic for a while when starting a new project, no matter how big. My sister is my best quilting customer, always has something for me to practise new things. It is a real blessing to hear your encouragements, and know that this "holding your breath" thing isn't just me. I haven't had a customer tell me exactlly how they want their quilt done, just "do your magic is what one lady said" Yep now I'm nervous. How about locking your knees - mostly when doing a panto - I much prefer the other side of the machine, to see, feel and get the ideas from the fabric, pattern etc. I found the book "Breaking the Code" very good for reading the quilt and deciding patterns. you just can't watch the instructional DVD's too offen. Joan

For me it's been almost 3 years and the biggest thing I have learned to deal with is tension issues. Now I hardly ever have problems. I will admit though, as long as I have been longarming I am not as good as I think I should be as far as freemotion quilting. When I see the pictures you all post, I say to myself, "Why the &%#$ doesn't my quilting look like that?!" Oh well!

Archived