WHERE'S THE ELEPHANTS

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The critters are here with me for the weekend - they'll be heading west to Linda Rech tomorrow.

They were a big help in setting up my show table, but my kitty, "Sneakers," was NOT happy about their perch - is there room for that many critters up there?:P

The trouble with being a guy in this chat room is that you have to appear stupid once in awhile. So, I love the animals floating around the country in a box and all of the great pictures of their activity. Please give me a hint what this is all about.

I think it is simply fantastic that with all of the negative stuff in the world that you can laugh and have fun with UPS and a box of what ever it is you gals are shipping around.

Thanks for the fun you bring in to the world.

Chuckster

Chuck,

Since no one else jumped in here, I'll give you the skinny: Over a year ago, we started a White Elephant Exchange here on the chat. Quite a few ladies (no gents, as far as I know) signed on, and two boxes were started, one in Tennessee and one in Alaska.

[full details can be found in the thread at http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=8935&page=3 but beware - it's 28 pages long!!]

The boxes have been traveling all over the US this past year, with each recipient taking a few quilty items and adding a few quilty items, and putting some thoughts in the journal traveling with each box. Along the way, someone added critters to the box - a chicken for Teresa (aka chickenscratch) and a monkey for Shana (aka quiltmonkey). The original critters ran away partway through that box's travels, and replacement critters were added, along with a guard dog. If you check a little earlier in this thread (or search for "Elephant" on the chat), you'll see photos of the critters as they visited various venues.

One box has already reached Teresa in Tennessee, the other just left my home for Olympia and then on to Shana at North Pole, Alaska.

BTW, I'm sure there are ladies out there who aren't familiar with the history behind this thread, so it's definitely not a gender issue.....:P

Soooo, Linda in Olympia, keep an eye for a notice from the Post Office - the 20 lb. box is coming at you Priority Mail - they say it should arrive Wednesday or Thursday......

Barb,

Thank you for filling me in on the details. I do remember back a few months ago reading about some animals that were "mangled" in some sort of attack. Now it is all starting to come together. Sort of a swap meet by mail. lol

You all have so much fun and I enjoy the good times.

Hello to Lynda Rech!!! Let us know what you get in that box.

Chuck

Hi Chuckster--nice to see you here!!

I will be watching for the critter box--can't wait!

I will empty a few things for the Moxie Crue :P:P:P--love it, Shana!

I have been getting squishies from all over and a box from Meg for the Aussie Bushfire Brigade. Dennis is amazed at how popular I am! Just not with the mailman, though!!

So, I guess I will be sitting on the porch waiting for goodies from far away!

Happy dance!!! The box is here!! I haven't opened it yet--don't want those critters trashing my house after I go to bed!:P I will let them out tomorrow, lighten the load by picking some things for the Moxies to share, put in a treat or two for Shana and Teresa, and their journey will be almost over!

They were trying to crawl into a new shiny box...probally didn't give a rat's at to where it was going, just so it was new....when they were here...or at least the ones that went missing were here, you should have heard them complain about the smells in the box...and that the other items were fighting and not letting them get any sleep between towns.... so you see they were just looking for a prettier view.

What a journey, wish they could really talk! Their journey was long, over a year (the boxes). We really need to write a story of their adventures (using the journals) and get it published in one of our beloved quilt magazines.

OK Connie. You know how the old saying goes: "She who thinks up the idea gets to implement it!" :P How about it??? You'd do a great job! Or, perhaps Teresa Taylor could write the article. She is the person who thought up this idea in the first place. Yes! Teresa would do a great job!

Teresa...where are you??? Haven't see you in a while. (she must be busy teaching those kids in school)

Archived