A quilt I finished tonight

My customer said "just do whatever" so I filled it with a bunch of bump/over top feathers. It was fun and gave me lots of practice. I marked the feather spine with a blue pen and used a template so they would be consistant and in opposing directions.

Size is 64"x64" I used So Fine beige top; Bottom line bobbin

post--13461900604669_thumb.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and I have another customer quilt designed EXACTLY like this one but it was done in purples and greens. I'll do that one next. Not sure if I should do the same quilting or try something completely different and new.... what do you guys think I should do? Any ideas for me for the other purple & green quilt? I'm all ears --- and so is my shepherd, Rika! LOL. :) We're hanging out here waiting to hear what you think we should do next.

Wow are you one feather mak'n quilter sis! It's BEAUTIFUL!

Hey, have you tried the 1" basket weave yet? I bought the stencil and I am waiting for the perfect quilt to try it out on. I just havent done that one yet. I'm kinda liking it, cuz you can do it continuous, filling in the center with dense meander.

I think that would look awsome in the blocks w/the applique and the corner triangles from the smallest border inwards (if i'm making sense.)

Then, whatever you do in the pieced sections, carry that pattern out on the triangles in the outer border.

That's all I can come up w/for now, but I think the trellis looking basket weave design will make those applique's pop out like wildfire on the green/purple quilt.

Just beautiful Shana! Have you tried fern feathers? They might look good in the purple/green quilt! I do love the look and texture of the basketweave, lots of heavy quilting there. That's all my sleep deprived brain can come up with this early in the AM!

Love your helper, isn't funny how they know that the quilt needs something to finish it off right in the pictures!:)

Shana,

This baby turned out just gorgeous! You've done wonderfully on those feathers.

As to your question about the second top - when I get several tops made from the same kit or in the same class, I always try to quilts them differently. I have got two reasons for this. First of all, I tend to get bored doing the same quilting in more than one top in a row. And secondly, my customers mostly request an individual look for their tops (this may even mean to just change the directions of the feathers, though). Let yourself be inspired by the different fabrics and colors used in the second version. They may tell you how they would like to be treated.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure to share some pictures again.

Happy stitching,

Birgit

Okay, I'm coming to Alaska so you can teach me how to do feathers.....

I would quilt the next one just the same...only because it was that pretty and it seemed to fit the quilt perfectly..... ( I didn't say it was nice....I said it was perfect)

Shana,

Your quilting is so wonderful. Your feathers look so nice, adds so much to this quilt.

I just finished a quilt with all feathers and it added so much to a simple trip around the world, 6 inch squares. It was the gals very first quilt and she did very well on it. She was giving it to her parents for an anniversary gift so I thought heart feathers would be nice, I do let the quilt speak to me, and had a blast. Actually, doing feathers is very fast once you get your directions going. I am a bit confused and can not figure out how you did your feathers. I have stared them down and they are not backing down (translation, I cannot figure out your path.) I am finding when I do something one way, the old brain cannot do it another.

Beautiful quilt. I like the idea of fern feathers on the purple/green quilt. Can't wait for the pictures of that one either. Judy

OMG Girlfriend...:P:P:P:P:P You are awesome. Look at you go. Can I move up and be your next best friend??? Maybe some of that talent will rub off on me.;);););) Hey..here's a thought....are you coming down to visit your sister anytime soon? You could visit and play a little with some of us Moxie's. Love ya and love the feathers.:D:D

Nancy

Archived