rail road tracks

I'm sure each of us has had a quilt that sagged in a spot where a block was pooryly stitched. But did you ever get rail road tracks on the back of this area?

this is the case on a quilt I have on right now. I plan on sprinkling some water on the area, with all cotton thread and batt, I pray it will suck into the quilt. Unless someone has something better in mind. It only happend in this area.

thank you all,

sue

I agree that if this was continually wacky but it is just where this lose block was. I'm trying the water tonight, it is still on the machine, and see if it dries tighter.

I'm nearly finished with this, but it isn't to late to unsew.

sorry if the terms aren't clear. The rail road tracks are when the upper thread shows on the backing and the lower thread lays flat on the backing, top always looks good.

thanks for any ideas,

sue

Railroad tracks refers to when the tension is bad (generally the top thread is too loose) and so you can see the top thread on the bottom. If you run your fingernail along this stitching on the bottom, you can feel the ridges. It's kind of like the ties across the railroad tracks... hence the name...

When you get it, you need to tighten up your top tension, since the bobbin is winning the tug of war.

Julia

Archived