question about fleece

The ones that I have done, I just treat as if they are a normal quilt...with or without a thin batting...have done it both ways...and I bind it with a regular binding. I have made both the regular binding with a 2 1/2" strip folded and I have made wider binding as well, all depends on the look you are going for. The wider binding looks a bit more stable, but the thinner one works well also.

I treat them like a regular quilt too. The ones I've done are fleece backing, and a pieced top of quilter's fabrics. The binding is the same, nothing special.

If you're talking about fleece on fleece, to knot the edges, you would have to leave a few inches unquilted?

You can lay two pieces of fleece together, use your rotary cutter to cut a fringe (through both pieces at the same time) and tie the fringe together. You will not need to quilt the layers unless you want to--the fleece doesn't shift as the two layer "lock" together. If you want to quilt it, leave the extra space for tieing unquilted of course--mark with blue water soluble or chalk so you know how close to stitch. If you don't want fringe, run a line of stitching at the edges--the fleece won't fray so there is no need for binding unless you like the look.

Another application is to do an envelope turn with two pieces of fleece--sew together right-sides together leaving several inches unsewn to turn. Turn right-side-out, whip-stitch the opening and top-stitch a half inch from the edge. No quilting required.

This is all done with fleece--not Minkee or other knits.

This makes the fastest emergency baby blanket and are always welcomed by new moms.

I like to do fleece baby throws and use the envelop method that Linda just described. I often buy a solid for the back and a boy or girl print for the front. I use my embroidery machine to personalize the back with their name and date of birth. After I turn the quilt and whip stitch the small opening together, I run a line of stitching (using my walking foot and DSM) about an inch or even a bit more inside the edges all the way around the throw. Sometimes I use a wavy line stitch, or other semi-decorative line type of stitch. It just dresses it up a bit more, especially for a girl quilt.

The great thing about these fleece quilts/throws is that they can be used and abused and still look like brand new. Plus, they are so inexpensive and fast to make. I also buy the fleece in JoAnn's with my 40% off coupon and can make one up for less than $20 and about 2 hours sewing/embroidery time.

They are really winners in my book.

I've used Vivians' Fleece Quilt Tutorial:

http://quiltswithlove.blogspot.com/2007/08/purse-dog-wants-to-share.html

And made several fleece quilts with my Ultimate II.

http://picasaweb.google.com/angiesquilting/FleeceQuilts#

They are a lot of fun! :) When Joann Fabrics put their fleece on sale (including their fleece blanket bundles)---I purchased a few more that I plan to do soon. They make great quick gifts. Wonderful for practicing on, and especially with pantographs. The fleece is very forgiving! ;) I used Superiors So-Fine or LAVA thread.

Archived