A new year's swap

GEEEEZZZ I really shouldn't be doing this, but I'll play, I've been collecting for the last year and I want to make one of these very much!

I really think white makes the fabrics look better, but I'll go with whatever the group decides... and 12" blocks... the 15" blocks don't leave a lot of room for creative layout.

So, YES, count me in!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, sounds like the majority wants

12" blocks

unbleached muslin backgrounds

1930's pastel type colors

Traditional block patterns

You may make 15 blocks all the same, or you may make all different blocks. It is up to you. I can tell you from experience that it is much quicker and easier to make 15 identical blocks.

Around Christmas time I will create a master list to let you know who to mail to. In the meantime, make sure you email or U2U your first and last name and correct mailing address so I can get you on the list.

After looking at several of those blocks, Pam, I wonder would it matter if we all ended up with the same block? Like, what chance is there of that happening?

So, if we are going to use 30's fabrics, should our blocks be from that era also? Please enlighten me, oh teacher Teresa.:o

Gosh, it will be fun to get quilt blocks from all over the US, Canada and even Over The Pond!!!! I hope I get blocks from far away and from states where I have never been - so fun! Course, the blocks I recieve will be fantastic but I can't quilt them up other than using a Panto so they will not be as WOW as you custom girls. But I will love it just the same!! :D:D:D

Okay, here is a list of blocks from 101 quilt blocks, published in 1933. Surely you can find something from this list.

Album, Arabic Lattice, Aster, Baby's Blocks, Basket of Oranges, Bear's Paw, Beautiful Star, Beggar Block, Bird's Nest, Blazing Star, Broken Dishes, Burgoyne's Quilt, Cherry Basket, Churn Dash, Clay's Choice, Corn and Beans, Crazy Ann, Cross and Crown, Crossed Canoes, Double Nine-Patch, Double Irish Cross, Double Wedding Ring, Dove in the Window, Drunkard's Path, Dutchman's Puzzle, Eight Pointed Star, English Flower Garden, Feather Edge Star, Fish Block, Flower Pot, French Bouquet, French Star, Friendship Ring, Fruit Basket, Goose in the Pond, Goose Tracks, Grandmother's Cross, Grandmother's Fan, Grandmother's Flower Garden, Grape Basket, Greek Cross, Hollyhock Wreath, Honey Bee, House on the Hill, Indian Hatchet, Jack in the Box, Jacob's Ladder, Kaleidoscope, King's Crown, Lafayette Orange Peel, Little Beech Tree, Log Cabin, Lone Star, Maple Leaf, Merry Go Round, Mexican Star, Milky Way, Mill Wheel, Monkey Wrench, Necktie, Noonday, Lily, Ocean Wave, Old Maid's Puzzle, Order No. 11, Palm Leaf, Pieced Star, Pineapple, Pine Tree, Pin Wheels, Rambler, Ribbon Border, Rising Sun, Road to California, Road to Oklahoma, Rob Peter to Pay Paul, Rolling Star, Rose Appliqué, Rose Cross, Seven Stars, Shoo Fly, Skyrocket, Snail's Trail, Spider Web, Spools, Square and Compass, Steps to the Alter, Strawberry, String Quilt, Sunbeam, Sunburst, Susannah, Swastika, Triple Irish Chain, Tulip Appliqué, V Block, Virginia Star, Weathervane, Wedding Ring, Whirlwind, Wild Goose Chase, Windblown Square, Windmill, Windmill and Outline, Winged Square, Wrench, Zig-Zag.

I have been looking also in the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns by Barbara Brackman I know it doesn't have the instructions on how to make the blocks, you have to figure that out yourself...But there are even more there than what Teresa mentioned (Thank you also for looking, you found some I hadn't).

Teresa, I have a suggestion. With these only being 12" finished....and 15 blocks...it makes you use them 3 x 5, so, what if we did the exchange for 16 blocks, so we could make this a decent 4 rows by 4 rows...and a very nice sized quilt????? Just a suggestion, but what do you all think? 3 x 5 leaves it thinner and longer, where the 4 x 4 would make it square, or even.

Example: if we put 3" sashings in, the quilt would be 48 x 78 for 15 blocks... otherwise 16 blocks would make it 66 x 66 with 3 in sashings.

Sorry friends, but I'm NOT doing 16 Double Wedding Ring blocks---Nope, can't make me. . .:o

:D

I will choose a very simple, humble, and EASY block with BEAUTIFUL 30's fabric. Should we let you know which one we choose, Teresa, so they will ALL be different?

I like the idea of a large quilt. I can always add more of my own to make a king size, so 12-15 from someone else is ok. If you get enough people to play, go for the 16. Am I over my head?

Is there a time limit?

Janice, I stated the rules a few posts back, maybe on page one of this discussion.

16 blocks is fine, I just don't want anybody to get overwhelmed and not finish them. I has happened on every swap so far:mad:

SO< PLEASE DON'T COMMIT IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO FINISH

(I'll say it now and go ahead and make everybody mad. Then you'll have time to quit before we even get started)

Archived