A new year's swap

Teresa is RIGHT everyone!

Please, lets not disapoint a fellow quilter by NOT finishing or starting your 16 blocks! If your IN, your IN TO DO THE WHOLE BALL OF WAX!

This is a wonderful gesture Teresa's doing by coordinating all of this for us. Let's make it happen and achieve a 100% participation in these exchanges!

Sorry T....Just HAD to chime in and hopefully get e1's attention on how disapointed some quilters would be, missing some blocks.

Quilted Hugs,

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, bullet bitten. I cannot resist 30's and have a LOT of feedsacks, etc. I am in. Put me on the list Theresa. Love the unbleached muslin...have a couple of bolts leftover from my medallion 30's quilt. Now y'all gotta help me make up a story about why i am going to be shut away in my sewing room for a few days.

:D:D:D:D

Nancy Jo

Thanks Sheri....I thought you guys had made 15...so thank you for correcting me. I also agree that 16 would be a good sized quit that you can do something with.

Also I think its a good idea to wash the muslin....some aren't as good as others, and some shrink worse than others, so if you are mixing them with good quality 30's fabrics, it might be a good idea to do the washing part of that at least.

Then after washing you put the sizing back in with spray starch or sizing and make the muslin again the same look and feel as the 30's fabrics without the fear of shrinking in the wash.

I would like to participate. I've done this twice in the past and another round would give me just about enough blocks for a king-size quilt. Can we specify colors we don't want used? I have declared my home a NO Orange zone.

Thanks,

Ellen Childs

Fourth Generation Quilt Works

Veneta, OR

Hi Teresa,

Count me in. This will be my third one. I will have the "2008 Friendship" finished in the next few days (putting on the binding today) My "2008 Christmas" is ready to go on the Millie soon. I too, have never done a 30's quilt but am willing to try. Off white and 12" sounds alright. The advantage of the 15" is not having to have as many people to finish the quilt. I never received all of my Friendship blocks so I changed my original plans for the quilt. You are so organized! Hope things are going well for you in your life.

Ellen, I think if we start specifying colors we dont want, its going to get "ugly".

Then we'll have numerous people NOT wanting certain colors, and if we have to make for 16 people wanting 16 different colors they dont want....etc...well, you get my drift!

What's everyone else's opinion on this?

I agree with Sheri....Teresa stated a pastel 30's quilt...and that would mean the lighters ones to me, not the brights oranges, and dull yellows. But the pastelly ones. Now with that said there are 8 different factories that I know of that makes a repro 1930's fabrics...are we going to pick one and live with that family or are we going to be allowed to bounce between them as long as they are in the pastelly colors.

There is available:

Windham 1930's

RJR 1930's

1930's Aunt Grace

1930 Feedsack collection

Moda 1930's

Chanteclaire 1930's

Feedsack Storybook V Collection

1930 Collection

Originally posted by BonnieThen after washing you put the sizing back in with spray starch or sizing and make the muslin again the same look and feel as the 30's fabrics without the fear of shrinking in the wash.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does it mean to put the sizing back in. This sounds like something I really should know and might make my life alot easier. I have never used spray starch. Is this something I should be using all the time? TIA :)

Originally posted by roberta

Originally posted by BonnieThen after washing you put the sizing back in with spray starch or sizing and make the muslin again the same look and feel as the 30's fabrics without the fear of shrinking in the wash.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does it mean to put the sizing back in. This sounds like something I really should know and might make my life alot easier. I have never used spray starch. Is this something I should be using all the time? TIA :)

When you buy fabric it has sizing in it which is what gives it a certain stiffness. When you wash it you wash that out. To get the same feel as the fabric off the bolt you have to spray it. Personally I use heavy starch for all my fabrics. I pre-wash everything. I had a real disaster with a Baltimore Album quilt and won't ever risk it again. I spray my fabric with starch when it comes out of the washer and then dry it. Then I press. You can also spray it after the dryer. I like mine good and stiff. It gives you much better results when piecing. When I tell students about it they grumble but after doing it the first time they usually convert.

Originally posted by roberta

Roberta I sent you a U2U....

And Heidi, you are so right students grumbly big time, but once they have a block come put perfect because the bias didn't wonk on them or the block was crisp they become total believers. I don't wash my fabric usually, I in fact come home and spray more stach into them. The only colors I wash are the reds and some blues if they don't look like they will hold.

Hi I have no reproduction fabric. OMG I have to go shopping if I do this! LOL I'm dangerous in a quilt shop also. Hmmm I'm biting! I also like the unbleached prewashed muslim in 12 inch blocks. So, I'm a tiny bit confused. I saw 16 blocks and 15 blocks. And do we mail them to each person on list? Or to you? Or is it we make 16 blocks so we can keep one of our own?

Thanks

Liz

Originally posted by liz2075

I also like the unbleached prewashed muslim in 12 inch blocks. Thanks

Liz

I'm sorry Liz, we all make typos, but I couldn't pass this one up.... I don't think you can get someone to stand still long enough to put into a quilt, so maybe you should opt for a bit of Muslin....

I believe we are making 16 blocks sized 12 1/2" to finish 12 inches....you will sending 15 to different people on your list and you will keep number 16 for yourself so you will have a quilt that has 16 total blocks, for you to sash and border as you desire.

What do you think of the new spray products like (Mary Ellen's Best Press) on the market that do the same as starch but isn't starch? My LQS is selling it big time. She had a bolt of "labels" that came from the factory wrinkled on the bolt. She used that stuff and it ironed like new. AND there was that crispness like it was new. It doesn't flake like starch does. I think there are a couple different brands.

I have a partial bolt of muslin that I got from EE Schenck. It's called natural, Star Muslin, 100% cotton and comes 108" wide. Would that be OK, or should I get one that specifically says "unbleached"?

I know Moda 30's, and I have a 5" charm packet of RJR "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" that has 65 different designs that are mostly pastels. They look very nice with the Star muslin.

Thanks for all the advice about starching. I am definetly going to give it a try. In fact, I can hardly wait.

I do, however, grumple about washing the fabric. I do alot of applique so buy alot of fat quarters and eighths. Even using a scalloped (I don't think this is the correct terminology, sorry) cutter, it frays so much and gets so tied up in knots it is maddening. I think I will keep with my current strategy there and hopefully I won't have any disasters. Though I do have a baltimore album in the works :o

Sorry for the thread jack, do they charge for that sort of thing around here ;)

It smells nice, but I don't like it for quilting...its great for pressing, and it works wonders for a shirt that needs pressed, but I don't care for it for my piecing...I want more stiffness. I use the Fautless spray and if you let it set for a few minutes between spraying and ironing you don't get gunk on your iron and you don't get flakes.

I need/want the heavy stuff to help me get the perfect points....;)

Archived