Quilting around embroidery--final pictures

Personally I would try to convey that If you leave a huge spot witout threads, it will look like a sore thumb and she won't like it. Where the threads come across it that will make blend it in and make it flow. By using a panto reagardless of which one, and dodging the embroidery it will look out of place and not becoming to the quilt....the threads won't snag on the threads and it won't hurt the embroidery.

I would also use a thread that will blend in with the white areas...I do agree with her that if you use a bright or dark thread then it will make the names look dorky, but a white thread will accent and not hurt.

I 100% agree with Bonnie the quilting will not have any impact on the writing as long as you use the background color , but squaring it off to avoid would not look right at all. Maybe show her something where you have gone over the embroidery stitching before to let her see for herself that it doesn't take away from the writing. JP

I have done some all over quilting on a quilt that I had hand embroidery on. It looked just fine to go over the embroidery. I wasn't sure either when I first was thinking about it, I was afraid it would look like big blobs on the quilt if I didn't go over it. It did look fine!! linda

Thank you so much. I agree that to leave it blank would look sort of dorky. When I did the Baby Faces with embroidery, I was doing a close background meander and went right up to the name and words without going over them. And I remember when I did the wedding quilt with all the pictures on it, I wished I had not stitched over the bride and groom's picture.

I was wondering after we discussed using white thread if the design I'm using would probably not land on the embroidery too many times. I think to cut out part of the design would look dorky too. I'm loading it today and will do a preview before I turn it loose.

I'll post pictures and also the scrappy happy when it comes off. You guys are the greatest!

I agree with sherryo, you have to do what the customer wants, but...

When I had a customer who wanted something similar, I made a sample. I.e. I did 2 small hand embroideries and then quilted it. I used a thread that blended with the background, in my case ivory Sew Fine, and then I quilted over one and didn't quilt over the other. I used the same design that I would use on the quilt. I showed this to the customer and showed her how the one that wasn't quilted sort of popped out and she agreed that the quilted one looked so much better and that the thread didn't even show. A bit of extra work, but the customer was happy.

You've gotten some great advice from everyone!

Something I have learned over the past several months: Even though a customer has a specific request on what to do with their quilt, it is our job as professional quilters to take their request into consideration, but to also provide advice and other options based on your past experience and knowledge. Sometimes (often) what they want is not necessarily the best choice. For example, I have done what the customer wanted but didn't speak up and while I was going through the quilting process I felt a little guilty and not happy because I knew I probably should have said something and more than likely they would have taken my advice if I had said something. (live and learn)

It's just writing for the embroidery. I would suggest quilting over this to your customer. It will blend right in and nobody will notice it. If it were a machine embroidered figure or design, I would outline it, but with just words, I would go right over it. If she's insistant, then I would creat some sort of frame (I like the scroll idea above). That will highlight the lettering.

This is what I did around the embroidery. I'm doing an E2E called Romantic Roses by Kim Diamond, Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio. I've used it a few times and my quilters love it. I drew a little rose just like the ones in the E2E and put it in the corner with the scalloped frame. It's all wound up on the rollers but I'll post a picture of the whole thing once it's done. I'm on the next to last row now. Just had to let you see.:D

"Kathleen's

Archived