velrco on brakes

I had the same problem - the previous owner of my Millie didn't remove the black tape on the rollers, so the metal wasn't exposed. She then wrapped the rollers with painter's tape so that the velcro would have something to grab onto. That left a sticky mess on the velcro AND the rollers.

What I finally did was this: removed the clamp brakes completely, then as Lynn said, pulled off the old Velcro, cleaned thoroughly with Goo Gone, and used a super-hold glue to apply new Velcro. For good measure, I also stapled the velcro to the wood near the ends of each strip (not where it would come into contact with the rollers at all).

Then I used a hair dryer to loosen what was stuck all over the rollers [my DH's brilliant idea!], scraped and then cleaned the rollers. Put the clamp brakes back on and they're like new! I'd been putting this job off for months, sure wish I'd done it sooner!

My velcro came off a long time ago so I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the area where the bars would be gripped and this has worked very well!

But Barb I would like to ask would it be best for me to put velcro back on that area? What is the benefits for having Velcro versus something like electrical tape? Does it really matter?

After going through the process above, I found that the tension on my quilts stays much more consistent - I'm not constantly tightening and loosening the clamps like I was before. I've only done two quilts since I made the change, but they were both custom, lots of rolling back and forth, and not having to play with the clamps made them much easier to get through.

Shana, is there bare metal on your rollers? Or do they look like the take-up and leveler rollers? It wasn't until I went through a set-up process with a customer that I realized there was supposed to be bare metal under the clamps/velcro.

Shana,

I'm talking about the rollers themselves being metal - the brake clamps are indeed wood, painted black. On my Millie (can't say about older versions or other setups), there was tape on the "fabric advance" end of the rollers, meant to be peeled off on setup. It kept a single band around each roller protected from the black paint on the rest of the roller. That way you could peel the tape off and have the bare metal exposed for clamping.

Even the take-up and leveler rollers have this black tape, for those setups which do not include the motorized fabric advance - but don't peel that tape off if you don't have to!

Check out your rollers - you might find the tape is still on. Or it may be that your setup doesn't have the protective tape, in which case I can't help you out!:(

lol GUESSIE WHAT??? When I put my milli together last year I peeled the tape off of the take up roller because the instructions said to (insert red face here) but it was not necessary as you mentioned above. Now I have a bald spot (LOL) on my take up roller and no tape on my other rollers...just black paint.

PS: Barb, have I told you lately that I love you?? I do!!! I'll never forget our time at MQS this year. Your smile is just as lovely in person as it is in your photo. You are a doll.

Thinking back on everything I experienced...reminiscing... Gosh what fun that was ... so much I never even imagined it turned out to be so amazing. It was an incredible time for me. I hope I can come to MQS this year. They certainly put on a great show in Overland Park. Plus the friends I met in real life. These people are friends for real ...for life. I just love quilters!!!

• 1 year later...

I am have the brake slipping problem lately. This caused some nasty tucks in a custom quilt I am working on. By the time I noticed a 2 foot long plete, I had quilted so much, there is no way I can take it all out, as it is just about in the middle of the quilt. This quilt has had quite a few issues caused by the piecing. It has everything from D cups, to an inner border that is so full it looks like it is "raushed" (if that is the way it is spelled??). I had to stipple that down so tight to suck in the fullness. Other blocks are too large and others are too small. Overall it is a pretty quilt. It is a rather old BOM from JoAnn's. I now have 18 hours into it and am only half done. It will be entered into my guild's show in October.

Anyway, back to my brakes. It looks like I need to take the brake apart, use Goo B Gone to clean up the area, buy velcro and an adhesive and repair the brake pads, then re-install the brakes.

Is that right? Is there anything I need to be careful of? I don't want to wreck anything. Are there any new ideas or suggestions since the last post by Barb, almost 2 years ago?

Help! And thanks.

Kristina,

Thanks for the response. Did you use both sides of the velcro? As in, did you use the fuzzy side and the prickly side? Or, did you just use the fuzzy side? Or, did you just use the prickly side? Which side? Also, I was confused by the tape on the rollers part. Do I need to put tape on my rollers? There was tape when it was new, but I think over time it has just worn away. Should I replace it? What kind of tape should I use?

In order to do the repairs, do I just unscrew the brake completely and take it off the rollers, then after the velcro is glued down, re-assemble it? Also, what kind of adhesive did you use to attach new velcro? Is the velcro a heavy duty type from a home supply store, or is it the sewing kind from JoAnn's?

I you have any other tips, please pass tham along, too.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sandy I haven't replaced my velcro yet but it did recently work lose and I'm sure I will have to change it. On the roller you are supposed to remove the tape. This gives the velcro a less smooth (paint is much smoother than bare metal) to grip onto. I've never really had much problem with my break so I guess I got lucky. I've had my machine 3 years now so I guess I just wore it out. Almost time to send my machine in for a beauty makeover too.

Sandra,

I have one of those quilts comming up in several weeks to do, the customer said and I quote..." I had to really pull and stretch that fabric to meet while I was sewing those blocks, but I know you'll be able to quilt it out.." I just gritted my teeth and said I would do the best I could but that there was no such thing as quilting anything out, and she should expect some tucks when I am finished. She shrugged and said that was fine, she was just glad to have it finished...(big eye roll on my part)...

But I am noticing that my tension also slips and I have reattached the velcro on the blocks with good glue as they were comming off but there is nothing but bare metal on the roller. Am I understanding that adding some velcro to the roller will help with the slipping? (Even with these kinds of quilts?)....:D

I recently had to redo the brakes on my milli too. I found that straight acetone worked great on getting all the gunk from the previous glue off the rollers. I would have used it on the brake itself if I had thought of it sooner! It was very hard to remove! (Acetone was bought at the local WalMart in a can, I found it where the glues were in the hardware section.) I didn't have any velcro around and I live rurally so I cut up a bathmat (the kind you put in the tub to keep from slipping) looks like the no slip shelf liner and glued that on the brakes. It compresses very well giving me a good tension and I think it works better than velcro!

hi all.... this has me confused.... I don't have velcro anywhere near my brakes... I got my new Millie a year ago with fabric advance, so I only have one brake. The metal roller under the bake is bare, and nothing on the brake. It's just wood painted black. I have trouble with slipping as well, so I often stuff a piece of paper towel or something between the brake and the roller to give me some resistance. So, where's the velcro supposed to be? and which side of the velcro do you use... the hook, or the loop side?

sandra...there should be no tape on the rollers. i did not use any new adhesive when re-applying my velcro (neither did I clean it to remove the glue). i just relaid the fuzzy side of the velcro in the brake...and stapled it in place. it is not moving and works like a charm. I too leave my brake where it is snug and I am able most of the time to advance forward without loosening the brake. :)

thanks Kristina... you might be right, but I don't know for sure... I've taken the brake off a few times to adjust my roller height, and have never noticed velcro. You'd think I would have seen/felt it?!...not at home right now, but I'll definitely be checking. Thanks for the tips ladies! Good thread!

Hi everyone,

In addition to what's already been suggested, note that you can also adjust the brake's pressure. As the Velcro loop tape becomes compressed with continual use, it's common for your initial "pressure setting" to need some adjustment.

Look under your brake and you'll see a locking collar on the threaded screw that travels from the handle through the wood blocks and down into the collar.

Lift the brake handle so that the pressure releases on the blocks. Now hold the handle with one hand so that it won't spin, and reach underneath and tighten the locking collar by rotating it a turn or two (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey).

Test the handle by re-engaging the brake. If you still don't have enough pressure, turn the locking collar more as you did before. You'll know you've gone too far when you can't push the handle down:)

Once you find a pressure that you like, use an allen wrench to tighten the small set screw that's ON the locking collar. This keeps the collar in place, no matter how you manipulate or rotate the handle once you lift it up. You can loosen the set screw and adjust the locking collar at any time.

This info is also found in the manual under the "Assembling the Brake/Tension Block" section. If you had one of the APQS dealers set up your machine, it's a good idea to still get out the manual and read through the assembly instructions as if you completed the process yourself. You'll gain a better understanding of your machine's parts, and maybe even discover a few tidbits to help you down the road with service or questions.

Happy quilting!

Thanks everyone for your answers and helpful hints, and especially to you, Dawn for your information.

My velcro is very sticky, but it no longer wants to stick to the break. It has wadded up and is sticking to itself in a messy little black blob.

I have straightened it out as best I could by loosening the screw underneath the break (didn't realize there was a set screw, too, and didn't remove the break either) and tugging on the velcro to put it it place, but it would move back to the blob shape with my first roll. I tried wedging rubber shelf liner in between the brake and the rollers, but that slides away as soon as I roll the quilt. What a PITA, but it sounds like I can easily solve it my replacing the velcro, and also by removing the rest of the tape that is on my roller.

I plan to visit Lowe's (home shop) on my way home from work tonight and see if I can get something to clean the gunk from the velcro off the rollers and buy new velcro to replace the messed up velcro blob currently on the brake.

So, I'll check my manual and see what what it says, as well....What a novel thought! Read the manual??? LOL

Archived