Quitling Blind on Black and Gold

I attached photos of a wall hanging I just finished to generate some discussion of how to mark very busy and high contrast quilt tops. I made several attempts and making templates and using chaulk pencils, pounch bags and

never really came up with anything that helped with this quilt. In the end I started quilting free motion and used chaulk to set "fences". I really just winged this but would like to be able to get results that are more symmetrical.

I am looking for ideas short of CQ as some of the posts of CQ work just leave me in the dust. I appreciate the technical and artistic talent of this work. I really enjoy being one with Millie and doing hands on quilting.

So please bring on your ideas.

Chuck

2686387850099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2295288290099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2667274510099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

Hi Chuck. This quilt is gorgeous (stunning) and your quilting work is equally gorgeous. :)

Here is something to consider for a very busy top like this that make eyeballs go crazy... (like mine):

1) Consider doing your "fence" or border by SID around the entire outer border. Use contrasting thread in the bobbin.

2) Do some SID around the outer "barn raising" block areas to define those areas. Use contrasting thread in the bobbin.

Then Flip the ENTIRE quilt over so the back is up and the busy topper is down.

Switch your bobbin thread and top thread appropriately.

Then quilt freehand as you see fit. You could (if you so desire) mark some areas on the back with chalk or use rulers to make some specific design elements so they show up on the BACK. That way you have some gorgeous quilting motifs on the back and a pretty topper, too. The top is so busy it would be much easier on the eye to quilt from the solid back. (just my humble $.02) :)

Heidi and Shana,

Thank you for the ideas.

I used chalk on the front but it would get lost in the gold. So much going on in the top material.

Shana,

I actually thought about quilting from the back side and did not go there. The part that I missed was your great idea of SID to set the "fences" and then turn the quilt. GREAT IDEA! Using stencils on the back would have been very easy with this twist. I should have posted the question before I started the project. I had this sitting around for a very long time as the owner was not in a hurry to get it back. The next time I have one of these I am going to attempt to follow your suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you again,

Chuck

Hi Chuckster!!

Here is my rule-of-thumb hard-learned through experience--If you can't see what you are stitching as you do it, the customer won't see the stitching either. Profound, huh?:P:P

Soooo...

Mark what you can see to use as a guide or

Use the piecing to find your way (CC or line dancing) or

Set up a side light, turn off the overheads and your machine light and freehand across using the shadows to see where you have been.

You still can do some beautiful stitching on top and then you will present a pretty top and a stunning backer!

Hey Linda!

I have an overhead light bar with lights that I can rotate. I turn them up to the reflect off the ceiling but I never did turn them off. I can see where the right light from the side could help. I will try this.

It was good to see you again last week. I hope to be able to come up to your place for a visit and learn a few more of your tricks. I some times feel like I am reinventing the wheel.

Take care and thank you for your suggestion.

Chuck

Great post Chuck. I really like Shana's idea and also thank you Barb for the post on the lights. I missed that one too. I'll keep both of those in the back of my brain, (the only place that I can remember where I put it) and use it when I need them. Thanks:cool:

........I do agree with Linda Rech that going to a lot of trouble to quilt a busy topper when you won't see it is something to consider.

So, I say consider all options and talk with the customer. Sometimes (time and cost considerations) it may be better to do as Linda suggested and do something that is simple yet enough to define and accentuate the quilt top. :) Sometimes that is all that is needed and necessary. No need to spend unnessary time quilting or expense for something the customer does not want as an end result. But if the customer wants a backer that is just as pretty as the top then by all means...GO...FOR...IT! :)

Shana (who considers Linda R. as one of the most wisest of wise women here on this chat!!!)

Hey Chuck, With all the great responses you have I'd like to add mine too. I have in the past used soluble stabilizer and chalked to stablilizer, lain it onto the quilt and then pinned to hold in place, when finished a cool rinse and it's all gone! Sew easy. I've used chalk pencils to put the design on as well as a pounce bag for stencils. Works great and you can see where to go. glo

Adding to FowlManor Quilting, I too use water soluble stabiliber, but I draw my design using washable crayons and just stitch. What ever doesn't tear away, just spritz.

Also using the laser light from the front may have worked. Anyway, it looks great from here.

Archived