RULES FOR NEW YEARS SWAP-30'S FABRICS (LIKE AUNT GRACE)

Sheri Butler

THIS SWAP IS FOR YOU TO MAKE 16 12 1/2" BLOCKS

USING 1930'S REPO FABRICS, LIKE AUNT GRACE...ETC.

THE BACKGROUND FABRIC WILL BE MADE OF UNBLEACHED MUSLIN! (NOT OFF-WHITE FABRIC)

YOU CAN MAKE ALL 16 THE SAME PATTERN, OR YOU CAN MAKE 16 DIFFERENT 1930'S PATTERNS.

THE BLOCKS CAN EVEN FINISH A TAD LARGER THAN 12 1/2", SO THE RECEPIENT CAN TRIM TO FIT, ITS UP TO YOU.

SEND TERESA A U2U OR E-MAIL WITH YOUR CORRECT NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS. SHE WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH YOUR LIST OF NAMES AT A LATER DATE (AROUND X-MAS).

I THOUGHT A SEPERATE TOPIC WILL ENABLE EVERYONE TO CHECK HERE FOR THE FULL RULES OF THE SWAP.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My good friend Sheri is making up rules??????? This sounds like a super swap. I wish I had time to join. 30's is my very very favorite fabric. Hmmm. Can I do it? inquiring minds are thinking.:D:D:D:D Can I bring them to MQS?;););););) I am just going to have to sit and figure this one out. Here's the scene:; Honey, I have to go to work for a couple of days. Do not bother me, throw food in the door, make me a mocha in the morning and do not expect wifely stuff (not TMI??) Yep, maybe this would work. :P:P:P:P:P

See you in a couple months girlfriend......

Nancy

I think the muslin needs to be washed as well...it doesn't all shrink equally...one piece may shrink more than someone elses...even though they are the same color, not all is the same same quality of greige goods... The unbleached muslin I have was purchased at Joann's, but it still shrinks a bit.

Bonnie, your mood says your color is just about ALL gone. Are you sick?--not feeling well? :(

Oh, oh, I think I know what you mean--your fall colors outside? right? My witch hazel dropped all its leaves a few days ago. That was sad too. and most of my maples leaves are gone. On the other hand, hazelnut harvest is winding down and I get my DH back soon. We're going to the mountain for a few days and then a trip to Indiana for Thanksgiving. That means time away from quilting-- Probably won't be time to sew with the three grandsons.

Bonnie, just think--56 days til Christmas--five months til spring.:cool:

No Heidi we didn't get any down here, but its starting to get cold enough so soon it will be. The trees have just about blown nekked...

Blue Wren, no muslin isn't the same as calico.... A calico means that its been printed with something like say a 1930's print, also calico can be a looser weave as well.

Where Muslin is either a pretty crisp white, or what we call a nonbleached muslin which is a cream color. Muslin is what people use to dye fabrics or it can be used as a solid color white/nonbleached. Its a blanc fabric...if you go to the fabric store and ask for Muslin they will take you to it. You want to pick out a nice weave...not one with a loose weave, those shrink up more than the tighter weaves.

Also don't confuse cotton broadcoth for muslin...I've seen some do that as well.

I guess I never actually paid attention to what "feedsacks" were.... so here ya go! Found this on one of the many sites you get when you google 30's fabrics!!!

Feedsack bags - sometimes called textile bags or "chicken linen"- were an important part of American textile history. The bags were popular in the early 1900s and held products such as flour, feed, seed or grain. Original feedsacks were made of cotton or burlap which was then recycled into garments, quilts, linens and other items. Considered valuable personal property, many were "branded" with stitching or stencils with names or initials to identify the owner. As manufacturers recognized the appeal of using feedsacks for home sewing, they began offering their products in colorful cotton bags that were popular among their customers. The feedsacks were available in solid colors as well as lively prints such as polka dots, plaids, geometrics and floral motifs. They were often accompanied by instructions for removing the company logo from the bag without damaging the fabric. Although the use of cotton sacks declined by the mid-20th century, their fascination has remained strong among quilters and textile lovers.

As there are 4 Aussies with their names on the exchange already, Is it possible for somebody to post a picture - ultra close up- so we can see the weave/ texture/finish of the unbleached muslin.

We would prefer to shop locally so want to be able to buy the comparable here. By the amount of shrinkage Bonnie had this sounds like our calico which is what was used for Australian Flour bags.

The pictures of the thirties fabric were good. Does someone want to do one similar with Pastel Shades and others to give us a distinction.

I don't have any in my collection so will need to purchase all once the "rules" are defined clearly.

The frangipanis and the hibiscus are now flowering in Sunny Queensland.

Lyn

Lyn,

Bonnie B posted a pic on another thread in "Birthday Block exchange"... Also, if you can purchase online, there are some sites you can get it from...

I THINK:

www.thequiltshoppe.net

www.fabricdepot.com

www.hancocks-paducah.com

It's about $5yd. looks like my ruler says a yard is about 91 cm. It's 36 inches for us.

Does any of that help?

Also while you are looking up the muslin, look for the 1930's fabrics, they are pretty good pictures of the fabric. If you can't find it on these sites, google " 30's fabrics"

Good luck! I'm looking forward to exchanging with you gals!!!

I checked out Hancocks for muslinhttp://www.hancocks-paducah.com/ItemSearch--search-muslin--srcin-1

Can you please tell me which one on this page would be suitable as none mention unbleached. We don't seem to use this in Australia. Mainly calico which is a cotton with the seeds still visible or homespun which is a plain cotton.

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

We would prefer to shop locally so want to be able to buy the comparable here. By the amount of shrinkage Bonnie had this sounds like our calico which is what was used for Australian Flour bags.

Lyn

Lyn that is exactly what it is....a flour sack....would be a great comparable....unbleached muslin is just like the flour sacks we use to get when I was a kid.... Calico is the same weave as muslin....only muslin doesn't have any printing on it.

OK, I am not planning on taking part in this swap, I'm just not a fan of 1930's fabric. However, if all 4 of you ladies south of the equator that are taking part in the swap want to U2U me your addresses I would be more than happy to send you samples of what our American muslin looks like. I have alot of time off next week and could have the samples in the mail way before this swap actually starts.

Dianne

I needed to take a break from a project that I have been working on this week...so I got out my books and decided that this is my contribution to the the 1930's exchange. Not to sure all 16 will have these fabrics, but will look close.

This block is called the Catus Pot....and was first recorded in the Oklahoma Farmer's Stockman magazine 1/1/1930

Fabrics are Unbleached Muslin

Green from Windham Fabrics Story Book V Era 1930

Lavender is Southseas Rosies Garden of Stars Era 1930.

post--13461900652203_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by liz2075

Ok, now I'm confused! I see nothing in the rules about pastels. I'm trying to shop. Is it pastels or any 30s fabric? I see some really nice NOT pastels. So far, I have only pastels in my cart. I could change this!

Here is the very beginning conversation regarding the new swap.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=13471&page=1#pid138313

In the very first entry....Teresa mentions Pastels....

That's a great idea Bonnie. Thanks. I wondered if some of us would come up with the same block. I'm looking in a book called The Sister Blocks by Edie McGinnis. It is a compilation of blocks published in the Kansas City Star around the 30's. A lot of the blocks in this book are applique so there are just a couple that I'm looking at. One is called Rolling Stone, it's a nine-patch configuration with square in a square in the corners, solid center, and parallel strips in the sides and top/bottom, using muslin background and one other fabric. It was published November 14, 1936.

Would it be against the rules if I made it scrappy, instead of just one 30's fabric?

Archived