RULES FOR NEW YEARS SWAP-30'S FABRICS (LIKE AUNT GRACE)

Sheri Butler

Hi Trish, my parents raised chickens when I was a wee little girl. Somewhere around here I have an ironing mitt that my mom made out of chicken feed sack material. It's a loose weave green check. She used to make shirts for my brother out of those feed sacks.

Oh the memories...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to find Roclon Natural Muslin at honeyforkfabrics.com for $3.45 per yard. I hope this is ok as I have read all the discussion and went into overdrive, was up very late last night. I could not find anything in Australia that came close, I do like to buy local but sometimes you have to go elsewhere.

6 yards will fit into a USPS Global Priority bag for $12.50 so if you buy the whole 6 yards (5.4 metres) it will cost approximately $54.00 Australian. I thought it would be prudent to buy the extra and then I would have enough for borders and sashing if I needed it. Although I really don't need an excuse to buy fabric.

Hope this helps the girls down under

Hi all,

I have to prewash all my fabrics that come into my house. I have asthma and the chemicals make me cough a lot!

If this bothers people participating in this exchange I'll bow out now. I understand that some people want the real 30's look with the shrinking fabric after washing and prewashing all fabrics may give you a different look. I've never done a quilt with some washed and some not.

In case you're wondering about the Christmas blocks I've received....I washed them by hand as they arrived.

Archived