Does this need batting?

A customer delivered a quilt to me made entirely of blue jeans. Each piece is about 6-8 inches and she sewed patches from their travels on each piece of jean fabric. It is very, very heavy. The backing is a red bandana fabric. This is my first time quilting something like this and am unsure if it needs batting. She requested no batting, but I told I would check with my group of "experts" to get their opinion. :D

I will just do a large meandering between obstacles.

Thanks!

post--13461900650817_thumb.jpg

Is this for a bed quilt? I've done several blue jean patch quilts over many years. I used Hobbs 80/20 because it's a pretty solid/tough batting that will stand up to the blue jean fabrics. they were both for teen bed quilts. The 80/20 will also stand up to frequent washings. My customers were happy with the look and feel of the quilts.

If you are doing a wall hanging I'd maybe use a low loft poly or cotton. I'd pick cotton but then I'm a natural fabric person. Another choice for a wall hanging would be a heavier batting like the Quilter's Dream Supreme or Delux wts or one of the Alpaca battings. Just would depend on the look you want. More quilting definition with the heavier battings. jeri

Archived