Basting

Grammie

Are you basting for hand quilting? If so, will it be quilted in a hoop or in the lap. I would think if it is going to quilted in the lap, rather than hooped, you would need more basting.

I do single stitches, a contrasting color of thread to the fabric, about 3-4" across, every 3-4" down the quilt. I use the contrasting color thread so it is easier to see to remove later when the quilt is finished.

Char

I'll be curious to see what others do, but I feel that using the SR, the longest stitch is still too close. Remember, Grammie, that the quilter has to take out the stitches out after quilting. The purpose is to hold the three layers together. It sounds like you have done some basting for yourself. What has worked for you?

Char

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Grammie,

a few weeks ago, I basted my first and only top for a hand-quilting friend.

The longest stitch in SR was still too close, so I tried manual mode low motor speed and moving the machine a bit fast, but that still was too close.

So I did the whole thing in single stitch, and I'm not sure I'll be offering this service any longer. It really wasn't worth it.

Unless I discover some new and more practical way to do the basting.

Good luck to you anyway,

Marie-Christine

Archived