Abort on the compuquilter

annkathryn

I have the compuquilter on my Millie. Last night I needed to abort a motif just after it started. I pushed the abort button, didn't stop it. Flipped the two switches and then the abort button, didn't stop it. Then just pushed a button on the handles. That did stop it. How do you do the abort? What does anyone think happened, that getting it to stop just didn't seem to work? Thanks

Annkathryn

Hi Annkathryn,

The abort button must be depressed & held in order for the function to work properly. I had this happen in the beginning, & quickly found that you must press & hold the abort button until the head stops.

Do a trial run & let me know if that works for you!;)

I've got a funny feeling this has happened to me when I have not turned the equipment on in the correct order.

I turn on the computer and open up compuquilter. I wait till the CQ software is completely opened, then turn on my millie at the back of the machine. I then turn on the stepping motor power and then the two toggle switches either side of the abort button.

Also - before I start stitching in CQ, I increase the speed setting via the mushroom head and then test the thread cutter. If I have not turned on in sequence, or, if anything was corrupted during turn on - the motor will start running and the only way to stop it is to touch one of the buttons on the LHS mushroom. If this happens, I turn everything off and go through the turning on procedure again.

I have observed if I do anything out of sequence all manner of strange things can/will happen, such as;

thread cutter plays up,

abort button plays up

channel locks play up

Good luck

Cherie in Australia

If you turn on the toggle switches last why does the software ask you to turn them on when it's loading?

I will have to try turning on the machine differently, because last night I needed to abort 3 times. First time pushed and held abort button, it did shut down. Not as fast as I would have liked it to. 2nd and 3rd time. pushed and held abort button. The thread finally broke, cause it was sewing in one place and not stopping. Got it to stop by using the other switches/buttons.

Annkathryn

Hi Annkathryn

I wonder which version of CQ you are running. I would ring Stan and give him your version number. There is a fix for this problem released in December.

You should be able to flick the run/stop and have the machine stop immediately, then press the abort button and after a second or two the message will come up to say pattern aborted.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hi again Annkathryn,

The comments I made yesterday came from observation and experience with my own machine.

I'm not sure why the software prompts you to turn switches on at a particular stage - perhaps its just a reminder, or perhaps my machine reacts/behaves a bit differently to others - it would take some one with better technical understanding of the program to answer that one.

As a research scientist in a previous life, I have had a fair bit of excperience running computer driven/assisted equipment, and it has been a lesson to me that if something does not work the way it should, turn it all off and reboot. I have learnt to accept that things can go wrong when turning on, eg electrical spikes/troughs (even from something as simple as the fridge motor turning on at the same time) may cause equipment malfunctions. Even when I think I have done something exactly the same way each time, there could still be a problem.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem, APQS and Compuquilter staff would know heaps better than me, but these are my experiences and observations.

Best wishes

Cherie in Australia

Well, last night I turned on the machine a little differnt. After the toggle switches, turned on the machine, then the stepping motor. I had to abort, a few times, and the button worked so much better than every before. I will keep trying that on process and see if I have any other problems.

Thanks again.

Annkathryn

Archived