quilting from front of machine

Robin

I recently had to move from my comfortable panto place from behind the machine to do custom blocks and such from the front of the machine. Any tips out there on how you keep the machine steady doing motifs on individual blocks? I can do a pretty detailed panto with no problem but it is more difficult to follow the lines from the front. Maybe it's just a PPP thing. Please let me know any ideas and pointers.

Thanks!

Robin, I'm with Judy, you need to do the dreaded PPP. Get yourself some muslin, or something really ugly and not expensive. Then tell yourself that these are going to be dog/cat beds, that they won't mind. Practice to your hearts content, and then give the pieces to the local animal shelter. Everyone will feel better in the end.

Personally I love working from the front of the machine, it is much harder for me to do panto's.

My advice is to just relax. I also find that I have the most control when I relax my shoulders and neck area (I know I have to actively think about this as I am still in the learning stages myself). Also, I find it extremely helpful to hold my elbows close to my body, and move more of my whole body and not just my hands. I also think it is important not to grip the handles really tightly. A lesson I learned from golf. Hold them like the neck of a bird. You don't want to strangle the bird, but you don't want it to get away either. I hope this helps, it has helped me a bit... Though I can't say I am an expert ... yet :P

Archived