What to charge???

I have always told friends that I do NOT quilt for others-that I like to do what I want and that does not happen when you quilt for others!! A very dear friend has found a way to talk me into doing her quilt:D Her logic was since I taught this class and she is a really good friend and since she wants me to do whatever I want and she would "of course pay me whatever she would the others"! Now we all do bend our rules for those we are fond of-I now need to know what to charge?!?!? Is there a set formula?- I tried to look it up under search and also went thru the starting your business threads to no avail. It was an easy quilt but the time involved was considerable-again we do a little more for our friends! I am taking it off the LA today then I will post a picture I am very happy with it-Sure hope she likes it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Base price for simple quilting is .015 per square inch. it goes up from there as high as .05si. you should have a minimum charge for small pieces. I do not load my machine for less than $50.00. Friend or family should be willing to cover your time. you can price that out as if you were working for someone else. ie $15. to $20 an hour. Then As Sharon says you can do the discount.

Sewhappy...I don't quilt for others on my home machine either. So when a situation comes up and I decide to do someone elses quilt (which isn't often) I only charge for Batting and thread. I let them determine any additional amount they want to pay. Beings I'm not in business I donate 1/2 to Breast Cancer.

I won't do E2E, when I do a quilt at home I want it to be creative and fun.

I also let them know this is a one time deal, and for their future quilting needs I direct them to a shop nearby who does LA quilting.

Terry

Archived