Exciting project for me

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

While I was in Houston this year, I met Marsha McCloskey, who happens to live in Eugene (my town). When I returned, I took her my practice piece and she asked me to quilt one of the pieces for her upcoming book and fabric line with In The Beginning Fabrics. I finished the quilt last night and delivered it this morning. I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity. I have permission from Marsha to post a few photos. These are my own photos, with the quilt slightly crinkly from folding, and not the pictures that will be in the book.

Marsha1.jpg

Marsha2.jpg

The fabric line is called Fat Eighths and Friends and will be available soon.

Linda

Linda used the Circle Lord (www.loriclesquilting.com). There is an extensive message in our own files discussing this tool. It is not cheap, but it gives you an expansive range of designs to choose from. (think Spirograph for big kids!).

There are a bunch of webshots of different quilts having been completed using the Circle Lord (more than just circles, by the way)...just go to the site and see.

Lovely Job, Linda!

Cynthia

Guest Linda S

Thank you all. As Cynthia said, I used the Circle Lord for my circles. It is one fabulous tool. And, not only can you make circles with it, but lots of other wonderful designs. It is not inexpensive, BUT - I have heard it said that a craftsperson is only as good as his/her tools. If you own the finest quilting machine (APQS) you should have the finest design tool to go with it. CIRCLE LORD ROCKS!!! Just a note here - those large circles are 15" -- I have a Liberty, which only has a quilting surface of about 11.5" -- I was still able to advance the quilt, easily find the center of the circle, and complete the bottom arc of the circle without much trouble at all. I don't think this is true of most other types of design tools. Save your pennies and get this if you can! :)

Linda

Linda, Great job! how long have you been quilting? I seem to recall when you were getting your APQS, but did you have another quilting machine before that? I have the Hartley Fence but I know I could never start a circle, advance my quilt and then line the rest of the circle up with the beginning. I'm impressed! Be sure to tell us when the book comes out. That quilt will look good in it.

Shirley

Guest Linda S

It is indeed an honor to be asked. The phone rang yesterday and Marsha was calling to ask if I would come and get a second quilt to be in the book! I am so jazzed. A bit stunned by this meteoric rise in my career, but I am so pleased. I must say that I credit my luck to having a great machine, great tools, and wonderful chat places such as this to give me good ideas and sound advice. :) I just hope that I don't wake up and find it's all not true!

Linda

Congratulations again Linda, It's true, you can stop pinching yourself.

On a side note, for all of you that have the Hartley Fence, you too can do this design quickly and easily.

Lottie, Which machinedoyou have? If you have a millie you would not have to roll your quilt. Even if you have a Liberty you should have enough room to do a 14" cirlce without rolling the quilt.

Myrna

Guest Linda S

Actually, with the Liberty, because of the leveler bar, we only have at most 11.5" in which to quilt. I've often thought of removing that bar, but I figure it has to be there for a reason.

Linda

Linda, I'm going to post this over in the CL forum too but thought you might see it here sooner. What other templates do you have for the CL? I'm really wanting to get the Baptist Fans and can't decide between the Aztec and a couple others.

I am ordering today! (I think!) :)

Archived