Unbelievable

Hello Everyone,

I just had to let you all know just how unbelievable getting my quilting business going.

This is so exciting for me, I won't be getting my machine until the end of February, just ordered it this last friday.

I have been talking to people I know as to what I am planning on doing as far as a quilting business.

At this time I have 6 quilt tops coming in, and another person wants me to make 4 quillows maybe 6!:D

I just can't believe this, I let them know that I trully won't open up for business until sometime after March or April.

They all want me to make up a work order sheet so its in writing that I will do their quilts!

Just had to share!:D

Char

Don't forget the all important PPP (practice practice practice!) before you set your machine to quilting a customer/friend project. When you are comfortable enough (this may be a week or it may be 6 months), then quilt one of YOUR quilts. When you are satisfied (be picky!) then you can tackle those customer quilts.

Enjoy your new venture. It has changed my life!

cynthia

Hi Char,

I'm not at all surprised. You are excited and you have a great attitude. It come through to others . Maybe you should start preparing dinner and put it in the freeze. So your family will eat at least for awhile. I don't think you will be doing much cooking once your machine arrives.:D

Myrna

Char, it's wonderful to see your excitement. The great thing about this "job" is that pretty much all of us are just as excited about facing the machine each day after years and years of quilting. Sounds like you are going to be very busy for a very long time!

Cynthia- I have been clearing my schedule or consolidate all my appointment to one day just so I have plenty of uninterupted time to practice, I am very hard on myself at times because I am a perfectionist or as my kids like to say "mom's way."

Myrna-hubby read what you wrote and said that he would make sure there was lots of tv dinners ready to go!:D

Sara-I am a foster mom, so home is my work. I was at a treatment plan meeting for one of my kids and I had all I could do to concentrate on the meeting and not think of the quilting business.;) Good Luck to you!!

Judy-I love staying busy and makes my days go by faster when hubby is gone during the week (truck driver)

Thanks everyone, I hope to meet all of you at one time or another.

Char

Good luck with that LR..You will enjoy it. But, be sure to practice, practice, practice, before you start on a customer's quilt.

Good luck.. .and have fun. I love my Millie....Be sure to use some canned air to blow the lint out of the bobbin case each time you quilt.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Iowa 50009

Guest Linda S

Wow Char! That is wonderful! This really is the most wonderful business in the world. Get that practice going, take some classes and you can go far. And, you'll have fun while you're doing it! :) Congratulations to you.

Linda

Boy, I sure feel SLOW! You're getting your machine the end of Feb. and plan to be taking customer quilts 2 mos. later? MERCY! Or have you quilted with machine before so you have that part of the operation already accomplished?

I got mine in Sept. and have spent a moderate amount of time...(not day in/day out) on it...and there's no way I'd even consider doing a GOOD quilt of MINE on it, let alone customers. After going to an APQS lesson and seeing the beautiful work that Mary and Janet do for t heir customers, I am wondering if I will EVER become as talented and polished. So far, I've been doing "cheater" quilts and practising on them. Good luck.

MaryLou,

I never used a big machine like APQS, but have done lots on my home sewing machine. The confidence you have in yourself makes a big differents along with your learning curve. Plus if you work outside of the home that really cuts into you being able to practice as much. Hang in there and give yourself boost of confidence because you will get it ;) Maybe talking to one of the wonderful reps that we have on the chat could help you in some way! Good Luck

Char

Char, I think it's great. You are all right about this being a good time to get into this business. In the last week I have had 4 different individuals call for consulation appointments. I'm meeting one on the 21st, one on the 26th, one who decided it was too expensive, and one who is finishing her top and will call me back. I hope all these jobs really do happen. I have heard from the one who said I was too expensive ($50.00 to meander a queen) that a guy in Kentucky will do it for $20. My husband said don't worry about it, let her go to that guy if that's true. : P

Isn't it great to have a supportive spouse. I love it.!!!

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Congrats Char!!!

I ordered my machine yesterday, they shipped today so it should be here in a week or so. I've only told a couple people and both want me to do quilts for them.

I wonder how the rest of the girls here handle "quilting for their friends"? I'm a bit worried that all my guild friends will expect special pricing. sigh

Rita

Food in Freezer. Check out www.supersuppers.com

That is my new answer to preparing dinner. AWESOME, delicious, affordable, and WOW a real timesaver!! I've eliminated long grocery shopping; duplications, and impulse buying (groceries, not fabric!).

I plan on continuing with SS because I can assemble all the meals in 1 1/2 hours, pack them up and just stock them in my freezer. They (ss) do all the prep and clean up.

Cynthia

Congrats on your new purchase. How exciting this is for you, and to have customers ready to line up. You could use this time to practice with a paper and pencil, putting together some design ideas in a notebook.

You might want to try a couple of charity quilts after your initial practice time. It can be a bit intimidating initially when you start quilting on someone else's quilt, but rewarding when you see the finished result.

I have been LA for about 6 months and still feel I learn something with each quilt.

Best wishes from another Char

Char,

Thats a wonderful suggestion to draw out some of my own ideas. I have plenty floating around in my head, I need to get them down so not to lose it.

This is just a wonderful opportunity to get into a business for ourselves!

I love learning new things. :D

Rita- I have been thinking of the same issue with my friend and I thought what I would do is she would have to pay for the thread, batting,and backing plus help me when I work on hers AND only when I have time nothing more. Don't get me wrong I do have lots of friends but she is the best-friend almost sister type.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other idea

Char

With regards to quilting for "friends" or family, it's a good idea, if you don't feel right about charging them actual cash, to trade time.

They spend the same amount of time doing something for you that you spend on quilting their quilt; whether it's housework, cleaning toilets, babysitting, grocery shopping or piecing a top for you. That way there are no built up hard feelings.

If someone's not even willing to invest the same amount of time in you as they're asking you to spend on them, then they're not worth your time, period! ;)

• 6 months later...

Hi Rita,

Just last night I was talking with my husband and my mom about "quilting for friends". I too feel quilty about charging them, but then I have remind myself that this is a "business". They are the ones that initiated asking me to quilt their quilts, and at the moment they are getting a reduced rate. I'm only doing the price for edge to edge, not custom, not matter what I do. At least until my brochures come out, which hopefully will be soon!

As to practice quilts, long before I purchased my Millie I made up some "quilt tops" out of fabric that people had given me. I questioned the fabric content, so didn't want to put it in my stash. I ended up cutting it into large squares, like 12" , and sewing them together. I've then saved them for "when I get my longarm" to practice on. So far, I've given about 4 quilts to the local police dept. charity organization. I think it's a win-win situation. I get to practice new techniques, some kid gets a warm quilt. While it's not an heirloom, I hope that it's something that will help them through a difficult time.

Beth:)

I have been quilting less than a year and I still charge the going rates. Some say I'm alittle too much and others feel I am more than fair. I am reevaluating my prices at this time. I think your quilting style and talent speaks volumes for your rates. If you can quilt it you should be paid the same as a seasoned quilter as you put it.

I charge alittle less on my custom work but that's to encourage more of it so that I can build my skills on certain techniques. They get a beautiful quilt and I gain experience. Until I begin to enter competitions I plan to continue this.

As far as family that's a personal decision on charging. I have a few to do for family but they understand it waits until my paying customers are taken care of.

Great question and answer. I was just thinking about this yesterday when I had a customer drop a quilt off and I told her I would work up a couple of different ideas and give her a quote. I knew she had talked to another quilter, but I don't think she liked something - price, ideas, I don't know. I also know she wanted something special in the borders. When I called her back with 3 different ideas, and 3 differnt prices, she said, "okay then how much for the borders?" I'm sure beads of sweat popped out on my forehead. I am probably lower than most. My confidence level is pretty low. So I'm thinking as my confidence rises - so will my prices:D

Archived