How to DVD classes

MimiB

Purchased a Discovery recently. No stitch regulation and I was wondering if there are any old time how to dvds out there. Pre stitch regulator dvds. If not, does this forum recommend any particular dvds to this newbie to longarm quilting? I have been studying Linda Taylor's book.

Thanks,

Mimi

I have Linda Taylor's first twoTV--DVD series, and Pam Clarke's Design with Lines series. They are really not that interesting to watch for entertainment. LT's have a lot of "advertising" and Pam Clarke's are noise-y. I just turn the sound off and watch them. They are motivating to say the least. LT says, "If I can do it, YOU can do it." There's some magic in that mantra!:P

Good luck finding one that works for you.

There are some videos by Donita Reeves that I watched when I first got my machine. It does not have a SR either--they were helpful to me. Just google her name and I know that she has a website because I purchased a few rulers from her. The one I like the best I think is called the accuglide--says it to help around applique--but I now like to use it for SID better than a straight edge.

Anyway--hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

I've got a Discovery too. I watch any and every DVD that catches my eye and most are pretty helpful without a stitch regulator. The only ones you might want to dodge for the moment are those heavy on ruler work which will make more use of the SR. You can do it on your machine but you probably won't do it quite the way they do, so watch those later.

Myrna's DVD's are a hoot and you will learn a lot.

Ferret

A lot of people on the forum have been endorsing DVDs from both Myrna and Kimmy so I've decided I'm going to get them. Will they be available for purchase at MQS? If I can buy them at MQS it will save on shipping cost and leave a little more money to buy goodies! Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I have 3 of Myrna Ficken's DVD's, she is fabulous, she does a lot of free motion. I also have Donita Reeves, "Tips and Techniques for Longarm Quilting" she takes you from loading the quilt to the end when it is ready to take off the frame. She is really good and does a lot of free motion. And, I have all of Karen McTavish's books and DVD's. She is great if you want to learn some alternatives to free motion stippleing. I highly recommend any of these.

I haven't got Kim Brunner's DVD's yet, but I bet I order them today

If you couldn't tell I am a DVD and book fanatic. I read quilt books like some read novels. LOL

Dustee

Guest Linda S

You night try and see if you can find Nichole Webb's DVDs. When you take a class from Nichole, she makes you turn the SR off, so that's how you do the designs. I have the DVDs somewhere, but it will probably take me a year to find them. I'm so disorganized. I find them fascinating -- watching her go from motif to motif and fill in the spaces so evenly. I wish my brain could let me do that, but I think I'm a lost cause. Rulers, stencils, and computerized work is my thing.

I personally think that's a CROCK of ********** that the teacher's cant sell their DVD's, etc in class. Makes NO sense what so ever!

If people are taking these classes to learn, then why not be able to sell their DVD's as well, to take home, as a reminder of what they saw/did in class.

Maybe the teachers need to post up a sign on their machine in class saying" My DVD's are in (such and such) booth upstairs. LOL!!!

Sorry to rant...this is just one of my "peeves" at quilt shows.

• 2 months later...

I have all of Myrna's DVD's except for the one on the Hartly Fence. Weel, I actually just ordered the most recent one on background fills and haven't had time for it to get here yet!! I watch them over and over. I don't have a longarm yet, but the ideas and inspiration on her dvvd's keeps me facinated and makes my fingers itch! So I just grab my pad and pen and PPP! Myran's Beginner dvd takes you all the way through, from squaring the top and backing and how to handle those issues; to wavy borders and ideas for that. I love 'em! Thank you Myrna for teaching and inspiring this wanna-be!

Just my 2 cents - I don't like it when a teacher sells, sells and more sells in the class. I want the meat and potatoes. I do not take classes to be sold to. Let me make the decision if I want to purchase your items and where I can purchase is just fine.

Sorry - just a peeve.

I have Myrna and Kimmy's beginning quilting DVDs as well as Dawn's APQS DVD. They are all great, and I still refer to one or the other of them when I get confused or can't remember something.

My first machine was an Ult 1 with no stitch regulator. I only owned it for a year, and didn't really use it that much as that was a bad year in my life for other reasons. I really struggled with learning how to manage without the SR, especially because I would get to a spot where I needed to stop and think, and by the time I actually hit the stop button a few stitches had piled up and broken the bobbin thread. Since I have had my Millie I have only used it in SR mode, but now that I have more confidence I might be able to manage without - one of these days I'm going to try it. With no SR, you REALLY learn to move at a steady pace, regardless of whether you are doing an easy curve, or a finicky point. For me, that meant setting my stitch length quite long, and then moving quite slowly - slower than I needed to for easy curves, and a little uncomfortably fast for finicky places. The last couple of quilts I did looked pretty good, although using the machine in general was still a struggle. One thing you DON'T have to worry about when you don't have a SR - you don't have to remember to reset your stitch length when you turn the machine off and back on. I've had to frog out long stitches several times when doing pantos from the back and forgetting to reset the stitch length.

Originally posted by MimiB

I think someone on this forum ought to make one. I would like to see the ten mistakes quilters make on video!

Mimi

I can't make a video, but I can list them!!:D

1-Loading the backer upside down.

2-Loading the backer over the take-up roller rather than under it.

3-Loading the batting wrong side up.

4-Loading the top incorrectly so you run out of backer/batting before you run out of top.

5-Starting your stitching before setting your stitch length, resulting in big stitches that must be frogged.

6-Having to un-stitch your first border/block/design because you hate it.

7- Running out of top thread completely and then waiting for a rush delivery--or begging some from friends.

8-Not winding enough bobbins--or winding way too many. Then you have those three bobbins left over which you will never use because no one will ever send you another mustard gold quilt backer but you don't want to waste the thread so those three sit there until you run out of extra empty bobbins and finally unspool the ugly mustard off so you can use the dang bobbin. Ever been there?

9- TEARING A HOLE OMG--you will die a little inside....

10-Crying. Never cry. Throw stuff, eat chocolate, curse, whatever. But crying isn't allowed.;):P;)

Linda, I've been there on most of those points you made. I guess that's how we learn.

And, I love all the DVDs mentioned above. I have them all, I think. And I watch them often.

For Custom Quilting, I just watched a new DVD by Lisa Calle on designing and doing custom work. It's the best I've seen on that subject yet. It takes you through the design and stitching process, step by step.

The DVD is called: Divide and Design: The Cure for Quilter's Agoraphobia. Here's a link. http://stonehousequilting.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/divide-and-design-conquering-your-quilting-agoraph/

If you order it, be sure and see the extras at the end, they show several quilts in the process of design and quilting. She does everything freehand, but does use ruler guides for circles and curves.

If you don't wish to purchase, you can watch a small teaser on last month's Quilt It, The Longarm Quilting Show on QNNTV.com

Archived