Wood Burning Stove New to me

How many of you have one of these wood burning stoves. I remember ours as a child but I know nothing about them.

I think I like it better than fireplace. This little baby keeps the house so toasty without getting too hot. I prefer colder than hotter.

It's probly not the choice for glammer decorating but I'm not a glamour person so it suits me just fine. I like the feel it has in the home. It is such a cozy feeling.

Could never have had this in Texas and made good use of it. Way too Hot even in the winter. lolol

Have a great weekend everyone.

Grammie Tammie

post--13461900716741_thumb.jpg

We have a wood stove, and I love it. Brad doesn't know how to build a "little" fire though, so often it approaches 80 in our room with the stove, while other parts are probably closer to 60. You do have to contend with the ashes however, so broom/dustpan or vacuum is a necessity. But nothing better than a nice snowy or icy day, off from school, and to stay inside sewing with a nice warm fire going. We do keep a fan blowing across the stove to kind of distribute the heat a bit.

Tammie, we have one in the house and, when it gets going good, it keeps both levels warm too. Ours is an insert into the regular fireplace. There's nothing like having a good fire to sit by and read or do hand sewing. Plus, if we should have a power outage during the winter I know that I can keep warm and cook on top if I have to do so. The dogs like it too when I put their bed near it. They snooze all day! So glad you're getting settled in and enjoying a Colorado winter!

I have a Vermont Castings wood stove. It's wonderful when it's going, unfortunately I don't start it up as much as I should. I have a fan attached to the back to help distribute the heat. Like Barb it's nice to know that if we lose power, I still have a source of heat, at least in that room and the next room over. I also have a hot plate on top. We used to have a coal stove. That was kind of messy with the coal dust and all, but boy when that thing was going full throttle you couldn't even stay in the room. One winter day we had to open all the windows because it was so hot, and with a full load of coal it's hours before it starts burning down. Actually quite efficient. I'm kind of surprised that you don't have a firewall behind your stove and that it's permitted to be so close to your rug. We had to have ours inspected on installation, right down to the inches of the firewall and the size of the platform that it sets on.

Dianne

We used to have one and I loved it. It was a little different from yours. I had a kettle that was oblong and had a lid that had bears on it. All cast iron. They have a lot of really cool kettles you can get. I would fill it with water and it would help humidify the house. You can also cook on these stoves if you lose pwer. I just love how cozy they made my house feel.

We used to have a wood burning stove and it was wonderful. Now we just have gas heat and a gas fireplace. When I want a fire I flip a switch which is just wonderful. Getting all the wood ready to burn and load gets a bit old after a while. In my studio I have a kerosene heater because hubby and BIL haven't cut into the heat duct for me yet. It gets rather warm so I usually just put it on to warm it up and then off it goes.

Those ashes are wonderful for your garden too!

We love our wood stove. That's all we heat with although we do have a furnace. We set it at 55 and it rarely kicks on.

I love standing by the stove when coming in from outdoors. Good to dry wet boots and gloves by. The wood and ashes do cause more mess but I think it is worth it.

Do check on that firewall. We didn't get ours in right away and when we tore out the drywall to put one in and then brick the wall, we found the 2 x 4's and insulation had actually burned behind the stove. You could not see it throug the drywall. We could have burned the house down and never know what was happening behind the wall.

Ahh yes! We have a wood stove in our home, and also a wood stove in our cabin. The cabin is way out in the woods. The wood stove in our home is a secondary heat source. We only use it when we want that "dry warm heat" or the flicker of fire in the living room. I love the feel of the dry heat that comes from a wood stove....so roasty toasty warm!

Grammie, you have to do some regular maintenance on these wood stoves; particularly the chimney pipe. It needs to be scrubbed out from top to bottom at least once a year (depending on how much you use it). Creosote builds up along the pipe walls and if it gets too thick it can catch fire and cause a chimney fire and chimney fires burn houses down. Please make sure your chimney is brushed out real good at least once a year (usually in spring or before winter hits).

Enjoy!!!!!

One thing I like to do is put a metal tea pot or cast iron kettle on the stove and add water and a cinnamon mix or pickling spices. It simmers and makes the house smell so yummy! :)

PS: The model you have is exactly like the one we have in our little cabin in the woods. We have a little larger / different model in our home (Princess)

I wanted to add a solution to the wall behind the stove pipe. Depending on the distance between the pipe and the wall, if you have concerns you could easily install ceramic stone on the wall that is designed to act as a fire wall to protect the sheetrock. Check with a local building supply company. They make pretty designs in ceramic stone that would work perfectly and be a nice design on the back wall. If you were so inclined and creative, you could even design a "quilt top" with the ceramic stones! LOL!! :P Perhaps the distance may be great enough that the ceramic stone is not necessary and you are in safety compliance with only sheetrock.

If you have small children or grandkids visiting, make sure they know to be careful around that stove when it's buring. Gets super hot and can burn a hand if someone lost balance and fell nearby. Grammie says "No running around the stove, kids!" :)

I had one in my log home and we would have to open the windows in the middle of the winter it got so warm. I now live alone in a smaller duplex and I have a gas fireplace that suits me fine. I still open the windows in the winter, but that's a hormone issue now.

Wow ladies thank you for the education. I too love this stove.

Shana I can't believe I didn't think of the cinnomon and spices myself. I just put it on my next shopping list.

I have put my candles that get low on WICK on it and they warm right up and scent the home. My own scented candle warmer.

Hugs and again thanks ladies.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I hope yours is blessed beyond reason.

Grammie Tammie

We have a Vermont Castings and love it, it heats our 2 story family room, the bedrooms upstairs and spreads out to the rest of the downstairs. I had my regular chimney lined and it has made the stove so efficient.

Grammie I just want to mention that all of the gaskets that seal the stove need regular maintenace. They take a lot of heat and can leak by sucking in too much air and making the fire too hot or let smoke in if the chimney isn't drawing properly. You can usually get the stove cement and gasket kits at the fireplace store. Also buy a fire extinguisher and keep it near the stove!

When you put the kettle on the stove remember to keep it filled so that it doesn't snap, crackle & pop! :o They make cast iron trivets that you can set the kettle on to slow the boiling down! ;)

Enjoy the toasty warmth, it's been so warm here this past week our stove is out but I've got it ready to light as soon as it's chilly again, which should be tomorrow!

we have a fireplace insert. No blower, I wish it did. It keeps our 1st and 2nd floor very warm...in fact, we sometimes have to open the door to the garage to let some cold air in :) I close the door to my bedroom on the second floor, or it gets too warm for sleeping. Since hot air doesn't go down, the basement is very cool...that is where I quilt, so I keep a little electric heater under the quilting machine to keep me warm....It's hard to leave the first floor when the fireplace is going...nothing feels better!!

We used to have a wood stove similar to yours, we kept toasty with it, even cooked a whole chicken dinner on it when we had no power from an ice storm. We used it so well it needed to be replaced. We now have a wood pellet stove. Still great heat, but much better for mess and clean up. Ashes only need to be emptied once a month, pour in a bag of pellets a day and I'm set for a good 24 hours. I figure that no matter how old and decrepit I get I can still fill it with pellets even if I have to use a cool whip container to transfer the pellets! Sure beats bringing in chunks of wood with bark and debrie falling off.

Glad you are able to stay warm.

We finally got a woodburner in our 200 year old granite house (when it was renovated by the previous owners they ripped out the aga!!! :mad: ) this year and now it's toasty - logs and peat.:)

I have even more fun in my yurt outside which also now has a stove with a pipe. The chimney man was very skeptical about the yurt setup but the yurt man said Mongolians aren't greatly bothered by our Health and Safety regulations and we'll just keep an eye on it!:P I had gin and curry in the yurt with my 2 best friends the other night and we were sooo cosy while the rain lashed and the wind blew up a hooly!

LINZI x

sure makes me miss my younger days with a wood stove. you will so enjoy it this winter. my house always smelled so good because I had the water and spices on it all the time and I always made my soups and stew on top. just seemed the right way too cook.

Archived