frozen up

Have you ever just completely frozen up standing at the machine. I just put on a customer quilt and got ready and couldn't go. It hit me that this was someone's pride and joy and what if I screwed it up? This has not happened before and I have not screwed up anything I couldn't fix but that darned quilt is still sitting on that frame looking me in the eye staring me down! Freeked!!!!

I was just telling a friend this morning that I get quilter's block as soon as a piece is sandwiched...what does it need? Can I do something wonderful and not screw it up? I usually get past it by taking a break, then warming up on a sample sandwich for awhile. We're all supporting you. You can do it!

Originally posted by Just Sew Simple

Have you ever just completely frozen up standing at the machine.

Yes.

But, not all the time but it does happen to me sometimes. What I do is walk away and let it be. Sometimes for a day or two. Then I get brave and start. After I start then my inhibitions go away and I keep going. :)

Originally posted by kreacher

Perhaps Prozac time?

Kreacher, I've not heard about this as a solution. Does the Prozac seem work for you?

I agree with everyone about just walking away for a time. I also try to remember something that I heard/read one time about "This isn't rocket science, it's just a blankie". Okay, maybe not "just a blankie", but have you ever had anyone not be happy with what you've done? As much of a pain as it is, you can also frog what you've stitched if you aren't happy with it. I'm certainly not saying that everything I do turns out perfectly (ha!), but I try to overcome my fears and remember how much fun this is.

Also, remember you can always come here for ideas, and support. Someone has either quilted this pattern before, or has an insight into it that you haven't been able to think of. It'll be okay!

Thanks for all the positive comments. I did walk away and did come back and got busy. The quilt is turning out nicely. This is a memory quilt and I didn't want to mess it up since it is special for a mom who loves the memories of raising her son alone. kreacher, I don't mean to be mean here but there are several really good social etiquette books out there that may be of help to you.

Archived