quilting out problems

What does that actually mean? I'm trying to picture this in my mind & I'm picturing smoothing out the quilt with your hand before you quilt the rough section. I'm getting ready to load my 1st real quilt (one of mine) so there may be something I need to "quilt out";)

Quote--"Oh, that'll quilt out." HA!!!

This quote refers to piecing whoopsies--whether it is a wavy border, D-cup pieced blocks, or mis-matching seams. When quilted these errors can be minimized with careful stabilizing before stitching, treatment before (see Bonnie's Starch-and-Steam Method) or careful placement of designs. You can use these techniques to camouflage these errors but sometimes "quilting out" means puckers and tucks or bunched fabric.

It is amazing how the dimension the quilting gives the quilt can make even a poorly-pieced top very beautiful.

Another recent post talked about how a customer was very careless in their piecing because their quilter "worked magic" on the top so they didn't have to make an effort to piece correctly. Bad!!

I have found that in the past if I used a basic meander, one that doesn't cross over itself when stitiching out you can manipulate the extra fullness in the quilt top to make it look good...this is what is called working your magic on the top. Also Bonnie's steam method has proven to work very effectivly as well with wavy borders as well.

But remember not all poor construction problems can be quilted out..sometimes you will get some that are so over the top that there is no saving it.

Archived