Which Templates Do You Use the Most?

JudyL

I don't think I can pass up the Baptist Fan any longer. I've been wanting it for a long time and the little echo stitch has kept me from doing it but I'm giving and order it. I want to get a couple more templates and can't decide which ones I want.

Which ones do you all use the most or like the most? I'm not so interested in quick and easy as I want pretty and fun.

Thanks!

OOps, I guess so, since this forum is for Circle Lord!!! :D

I think I'll be getting the Baptist Fan next...saw the new one though that has a double row of 7" (?) fans. Decisions, decisions!!! If I had a bigger machine (I have the Liberty) I would definitely get the double row. Michael had said he's going to design something with the Liberty in mind (unless I misunderstood. I hope not!)

I know that everyone loves the King Clam design on their quilt, and I think the Baptist Fan would get even bigger raves, I can't wait!!

What do you have, already?

Sandra

Sandra, I have only the basic circle maker that came with the machine. I've wanted other templates but have never taken the time to make the decision on which ones to get.

I love the basic circle maker. It is so easy to use and even when I go for weeks or months without using it, I don't even have to look at the instructions. It's so user friendly and the circles are always perfect.

I went ahead and ordered the double Baptist Fan, Heart and Gingko templates. Now I have to sit patiently and wait for them to arrive.

Guest Linda S

Judy - I bought the big package when I got my CL. I got the Aztec, Starz, Heartz, small crosshatch (which I can't live without), and Spiral. Since then, I have also gotten the Ovals and Stella. I don't have any of the king or queen ones (yet!), but I am leaning seriously in the direction of the smaller baptist fan and the zig zag, eventually, I'd like to have them all. I'd say that I use the Spiral, Aztec, Ovals, and crosshatch the most, but I love the others as well. The new Ginko one makes some very pretty designs as well. The Circle Lord really saved me on that last quilt. I think that altogether, there are 90 circles on that quilt!!:o It was pretty fun to do with the right tool.

Linda

Linda...

I guess with the Liberty you would have the 13" crosshatch? At some point this year I'll buy something new for my CL but also can't decide. I love gridwork on quilts but haven't done any on the LA. Is it alot of stop and start? Where do you use it the most? Must be nice on borders, too. Really want to pick your brain on this!!! Then there is the Baptist Fan, hmmm!!

I just have a couple of templates and have to say that I see the potential but don't really utilize them like I should. Maybe over the next few weeks I should really look at the quilts coming in with these in mind. After all, customers aren't going to ask for these designs if they don't see them in action, right? I do have a baby quilt done with the clams hanging in my sewing room. People choose it more now that they see it done up.

Have a good day!!!

Sandra

Guest Linda S

Hi Sandra - yes, I have the smaller crosshatch. I use it in borders or for background in applique blocks on more traditional quilts. Yes, it is a lot of stop and start, but you'd have to do that with a regular ruler, anyway, and this makes it so much easier to stay on target. I really love my Circle Lord. Not only is it a great tool, but Kay and Michael, the folks who sell it, are just super. The customer service is great.

Linda

Well, this was expensive for me to read this section today. Did not realize that Circle Lord has the double baaptist fan. Have been using the one row BF for nearly a year and love it--use it often. Last summer I won a blue ribbon on a Blooming Nine patch at the Maine state quilt show; the quilt next to mine was also a baptist fan, but she had done the regular BF with many tie offs. Her quilt had a red ribbon and although I am rather modest, I did think my quilting looked better with it continuous lines. Guess the judges did too.

Anyway, will have my double BF next week as Michael has it ready to mail. Have a quilt that would look great with a little smaller fan--can hardly wait.

Hello all,

I haven't been able to read and/or post much in the last couple of months... but wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.

Michael and Kay are two of the *VERY BEST* people to deal with in this industry. I know the Circle Lord seems a bit expensive at first glance.... but you can recoup the entire purchase price plus in a very short time when you use their tools in your quilting. The CL design is one of those "genius through simplicity" gadgets & It works absolutely wonderfully while being virtually pain free to operate!!

By the way- I am NOT affiliated with the Circle Lord company in any way what-so-ever... I just think it is one of the very few longarm gadgets that is well worth the price!!:D

I just reread my previous post and thought my earlier wording was not very clear--- When I said it was "virtually pain free to operate"- I was not referring to actual pain!!!

I *meant* that the Circle Lord is so easy to use because:

1.) It is not a "pain" when you need to move to another design location on the quilt top (I owned a different brand of circle maker several years ago that was a huge hassle to change positions- enough so that I decided I did not want circles on my quilts enough to mess with it)

2.) It is not a "pain" to learn how to use the different templates and I did not have to spend any time figuring out how to do what I wanted.

3.) It is not a "pain" to set-up and/or remove every time I need to use it because I could just easily push it to the end of the table until the next time I need it.

4.) It is not a "pain" to acheive perfect results where the lines of stitching meet up exactly... as compared to the other gadgets I have owned where you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to slightly budge the base out of the original position... because we all know that a mere 1/16 of an inch change in the line of stitching results in designs that are visibly off.

5.) It is not a "pain" to mark where the designs need to be... (Oh my goodness!! How easy it is to do Baptist Fans, cross-hatching, and etc. compared to the other methods I tried before!!!)

Soooo sorry for the wording in my previous post..... When I reread it, I almost choked- worried that someone would think I meant real pain!!!

Maybe it is a good thing I have not been able to post much lately!! :P!LOL!!!;)

I want to add to all who sing the praises of the "Circle Lord". I used my Circle Lord and all my templates for a personal Challenge at Christmas. I Challenged myself to complete all of the quilting for the 12 table toppers that I made as presents using the 'Circle Lord'.

My biggest challenge was choosing from the many designs available. I have the large Zig Zag, Cross hatch, Heartz, Stars, Aztec, Spiral and Stella Templates. I also did one Baptist fan to challenge myself. The photos do not look as flat as I wish. They had all been packed into there boxes before I decide to photograph my challenge.

Below is a link to the webshots. Hope you enjoy them.

Linda

http://community.webshots.com/album/546533969bWvEQq

My intention this year is to curtail spending and put as much as I can into paying down the machine and other debts...hard to do when reading all the posts here!!! I figured that at some point I'd get the crosshatch and then the Baptist Fan. Now I'm just itching to get at least the crosshatch template. We'll see which part of my conscience prevails!!!

:P Sandra

Guest Linda S

Linda - so glad to see you used so many of the designs on your Christmas quilts. I really love the snowflake one. They all came out very nice. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I'm leaning heavily toward the King Double Baptist Fan and the King Zigzag. Need to get a few more quilts done first though!

Linda

Guest JaneAnnHouser

I think the Circle Lord is a great tool to help new longarm quilters transition into early custom work. I use the Giant Templates such as the Giant Clam or the Giant Wavy and stitch the whole quilt edge to edge with a thin, matching background colored thread. Then, I go back and do fill stitching in areas that call for custom quilting--areas like solid fabric or surfaces that need defining by texturizing. A viewer's eye ends up going right to the custom quilting and the giant template background quilting gives the overall visual anchor and does not compete visually with the custom quilting.

If you would like to see many examples of this technique, go to my website www.janeannhouser.com and click on the Webshots link. Then go to the photo albums marked Circle Lord Quilting. There are two albums with these photos.

Jane Ann Houser

• 1 year later...

Hi ,

I just got my millie 5 days ago, Thanks to sue in Australia. and i was wondering which templates i should invest in when I buy the circle lord. I really like the baptist fan. which template is the better one, would you buy king or queen size 7 inch double or 10 inch. Also when putting it on the millie do you have to take the plastic panto cover off?

What other templates are really good as well appreciate any help thanks

Joy

Oh, I'm such a fan of Jane Ann's work...

Anyway, I was just talking to a neighboring Longarmer over in the next town. She's invited me to come over to her studio tomorrow to see her Circle Lord stuff, show me samples she's made up and maybe give me a few hints too. :) She has absolutely EVERYTHING and was so excited to tell me about each and every one of the things they can do. She bought her first CL about two years ago and invested in all the new things this year. She's just crazy for CL and insists we can't go wrong with the purchase.

This would be a second hand testimonial, but after my visit with her tomorrow I'll let you know her answer to your question of which templates she would use most often.

~~ Eva H.

Eva,

What treat that will be -- to see first hand. I've been browsing he CL website and reading all the info here about the Circle Lord, but I still get a little confused, since I don't have my machine yet. But I should be getting it this month.

I will be anxious to read your post when you return, because think I want to get a CL too.

Archived