I won 2 blue ribbons

Saturday (11-15) was the day that the Arizona LongArm Quilters Association announced the winners of their annual President's Challenge. The challenge this year was "Black and White and Shades of Gray". We could create any quilt we wanted and it had to measure between 36" and 40" square. We were not allowed to use any colors of fabric or thread other than whites, blacks, grays, and silver (for thread). I used Superior threads - a So Fine gray thread for all the feathers and Rainbows variegated Zebra (black and white) for the straight lines in the blocks and borders and the serpentine (wavy) border.

My quilt was entered in the computer assisted category (since I don't free hand) and I won 1st place. I also won the "Best of Show" ribbon. There were some absolutely gorgeous quilts in the competition and I was really blown away that I won "Best of Show."

I'm going to try to post some pictures here - but if they don't show up, you can see them in webshots album - AZLAQ 2008 Presidents Challenge (or something close to that!!)

post--13461900747697_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Nadia Wilson

I love the pattern in the outer border and the feathers, did you digitize them yourself?

No, I purchased the designs. Most of the designs are from Cindy Roth's Log Cabin set purchased from Digitech (Jessica Schick). The outer border was created by Jessica from part of the log design. The original set didn't have a repeatable border and Jessica created it for me. The serpentine (wavy) border and corner is from Darlene Epp (Trillium House).

I created the layout using Pro-Q Designer and then I used the boundary feature in CQ to place each section properly. (This was the second set of designs I used to create the layout. The first set I had to reduce too much to fit and the thread kept breaking so I gave up and redesigned the quilting.)

I love to piece and creating this quilt was a breeze. It was the quilting that really pushed my limits. I usually do pantos and I've done very little custom work. I have to give lots of thanks to Jessica Brunnemer and her husband Jerome for holding my hand and giving me lots of encouragement and telling me I can do it.

Oh, Shana, I won 1 blue ribbon in the Computer Assisted Category and another blue ribbon for the "Best of Show" so I only received 2 total ribbons. That is plenty - I was so excited.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like it.

Sue - congratulations on your ribbons and on a beautiful quilt. I see you added some sparkle. Wow. I love the innovative way you did the borders on all the blocks, sort of like a straight line with a u-turn. ;) It adds so much interest and really defines spaces for your other quilting. You should be proud, this is gorgeous.

This is BEAUTIFUL! Nice Job. I wish I could do that, someday maybe :) Did you also make up the pattern for the quilt? I am trying to make quilts for my boys this year for christmas and do one with blues and golds and this pattern could work. Is there a name of the pattern or did you put it together on your own? I hope that is not too bold of me to ask.

Tracie

Originally posted by TMunds

Did you also make up the pattern for the quilt? ITracie

Hi Tracie, no I didn't really create this pattern. I did draw it out in EQ6 and went from there, but I saw a picture of one similar in the Marti Michell Log Cabin ABCs book. Her picture has a major misplacement of several of the blocks. Or, she meant to do this and it looks real strange!

Martie calls this style "Chevron Blocks." I call them half log cabin blocks. Just figure out the size you want to make your blocks and create 1/2 of a log cabin block. Arrange them the way you want, and you'll have a unique quilt. These blocks were set on point.

Archived