I won 2 blue ribbons

Originally posted by SueinScottsdale

Martie calls this style "Chevron Blocks." I call them half log cabin blocks. Just figure out the size you want to make your blocks and create 1/2 of a log cabin block. Arrange them the way you want, and you'll have a unique quilt. These blocks were set on point.

I gave you incorrect information here. The blocks are not half log cabins. They are actually quarter blocks. Two of the blocks made up the half log look. I sure hope this is clear, but if you take a look at the picture of the full quilt, you'll see there are 4 quarter blocks - these are what make up the entire look of the log cabin blocks.

• 5 months later...

This might not be the place to ask this...but...I am SO impressed by this quilt! Want one, Want to do one, want to own one..now the question...on the computer-guided quilting. I guess I'm dumb as a rock, but I can't figure out how you can 'set' the machiine to sew a design and then be confident the design will always end up in the right places unless you stood there and 'baby-sat' every move it makes. I want one of these machine attachments so badly, but for the life of me, can not comprehend the functional aspects. I don't think I'd have a speck of difficulty designing quilting motifs to use, and am an accurate 'piecer'....but what if a block is 1/2"

'off' - does the machine compensate for that...or does it just have the sewing machine put the design over the seam and go on slightly out of step ? I hope I asked what I'm pondering without sounding too 'challenged'.

Thanks ML

Originally posted by MaryLou5740

... but I can't figure out how you can 'set' the machiine to sew a design and then be confident the design will always end up in the right places unless you stood there and 'baby-sat' every move it makes.

MaryLou, it is sort of hard to explain but I'll try.

The computer tells the sewing head what to sew. The operator has to tell the computer where to sew and how big to sew the design. You have lots of options for resizing, and setting the start point. You can also do a "dry run" without the needle sewing so you can watch where the design will be and how well it will fit. If you don't like what is happening, you can make changes easily. The person operating the system can really tell it to do quite a bit and the end result will only be as good as what that person tells the computer to do and how well the quilting design is digitized.

The CompuQuilter is really very easy to use. However, the operator still has to choose the correct designs, correct threads, and make sure they have the correct tension.

On this quilt, I did stand over it and watch it sew. I am not comfortable setting the system and walking away. I have done it on pantos but usually only to get a drink of water or something real quick. I know people who will do other things while the system is quilting, but I'm not comfortable with this. I know that everytime I stepped away from the embroidery machine that is when a thread or needle broke or something else happened that was not supposed to happen. I definitely don't want a needle to break and end up with a hole in the quilt.

If you are really interested in a computerized system, I suggest you get to a major show or to someone who has one and check it out. There are many options today. When I purchased mine, there was only one system for my Millie and I've been very happy with it. Also, today there are many more digitized designs that can be purchased. I actually do very little digitizing - I prefer to buy designs and save myself the hours it takes me to digitize a design.

Originally posted by SueinScottsdale

Originally posted by Nadia Wilson

I love the pattern in the outer border and the feathers, did you digitize them yourself?

No, I purchased the designs. Most of the designs are from Cindy Roth's Log Cabin set purchased from Digitech (Jessica Schick). The outer border was created by Jessica from part of the log design. The original set didn't have a repeatable border and Jessica created it for me. The serpentine (wavy) border and corner is from Darlene Epp (Trillium House).

I created the layout using Pro-Q Designer and then I used the boundary feature in CQ to place each section properly. (This was the second set of designs I used to create the layout. The first set I had to reduce too much to fit and the thread kept breaking so I gave up and redesigned the quilting.)

I love to piece and creating this quilt was a breeze. It was the quilting that really pushed my limits. I usually do pantos and I've done very little custom work. I have to give lots of thanks to Jessica Brunnemer and her husband Jerome for holding my hand and giving me lots of encouragement and telling me I can do it.

Oh, Shana, I won 1 blue ribbon in the Computer Assisted Category and another blue ribbon for the "Best of Show" so I only received 2 total ribbons. That is plenty - I was so excited.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like it.

This is a stunning quilt Sue!

No surprise that it placed so well, isn't the winning rush awesome? Nice to be recognized for your hard work & talents! Way to go! :cool:

Jessica is a great gal, count your blessings you have her in your backyard, she is a incredible quilter & person!!;)

Archived