Turkey- 40 pounder

Suezquilts

This isn't a joke, my DH brings home one the last 2 yrs.

My problem is, this is fresh not frozen and 40 plus pounds.

Baking this has been a learning experience the past 2 yrs.

the first year it was baked in such a short time, i was so suprised, which i was like 4 hours off. It also has spilled over the roasting pan, down into the lower draw of the oven.

It is so big going into the oven it nearly touches the top of the oven, being on the lowest shelf.

I would love to brine the turkey, but it fills a 5 gal bucket.

Its the best tasting turkey I have ever had, but I'd like to try something new this year.

suggestions?

Actually it is the only time EVERYONE takes home turkey and they use it all up. Alot of time you have left overs and they don't taste as good the second time around.

there are 10 adults and 4 children.

turkey soup, turkey bisquits and gravy, turkey pot pie, turkey salad sandwiches. turkey tacos

I think Brad's family could use a 40 lb turkey and not have any leftovers. It is our year to host, last time we stopped counting at 75, this is immediate plus first cousins. DMIL brings a 20+ shank ham that is to die for and I do a 20+ turkey. Last time, my 10 lbs of mashed potatoes didn't make it through the first time, and there were no seconds. I need to be cleaning house, have a quilt on LA that should have been done a week ago (customer is flexible tho) and have school papers to grade, feeling a bit of stress, but then I always have next Wed to clean. :P:P

Have you tried a deep fried turkey, we injected w/cajun and it was delicious.

:o 40 pounds? That's like the Hulk Hogan of Turkeys! :D

Smoked turkey is yumptious scrumptious. I have bought smoked turkeys from our local meat processing company. It was smoked like 1 or 2 days before. All I had to do was heat it up. Perhaps you could send Mr. Hulk bird to the professionals in your area? They could soak him in brine and smoke him for you.

Yikes 40 lb turkey! Does he hunt this large turkey or is it boughten from a butcher? if it is hunted who cleans and pulls out the feathers?

Wow!!! 75 people, the largest I have ever had for Christmas Eve is 30 people, I couldn't even imagine 75! I wouldn't be able to fit that many in my house, lol

Good luck ladies, I am glad all I have to do is a green bean cassorole, a cheesecake and a pumpkin pie and show up at my SIL's house :)

Sue...we haven't every eaten a wild turkey...although I have tons of them running the place. And I would say a few of ours would easily top 40 or more pounds.

I looked on the internet for Wild Turkey receipes which I'm sure you also have done, but maybe you haven't seen these.

here is the link.

http://www.huntingsociety.org/WildTurkeyRecipes.html

Have a great holiday...and for Christmas ask DH for a bigger oven. :P;) I max mine out each year and its only a 20 pound domestic turkey....

Originally posted by Suezquilts

This isn't a joke, my DH brings home one the last 2 yrs.

My problem is, this is fresh not frozen and 40 plus pounds.

Baking this has been a learning experience the past 2 yrs.

the first year it was baked in such a short time, i was so suprised, which i was like 4 hours off. It also has spilled over the roasting pan, down into the lower draw of the oven.

It is so big going into the oven it nearly touches the top of the oven, being on the lowest shelf.

I would love to brine the turkey, but it fills a 5 gal bucket.

Its the best tasting turkey I have ever had, but I'd like to try something new this year.

suggestions?

I'll be thinking of you on Thanksgiving day Sue! :P

HAve you considered splitting the bird in half? Either side to side.. so the breast portion is separate from the ribs, back, thighs, etc..? Or down the breast bone so half of everything is on one piece, the other half on the other. That might help.. then you could roast part in the oven and fix the other half another way.

RitaR

Suez,

Do brine a turkey sometime, if you're inclined to do so, you'll love it! I did that one year and it was the best one ever! it was a frozen one, but I'm sure fresh is no different. If you can cram him into a 5 gallon bucket, then mix up your brine and pour it in all around. it'll soak in around the cracks, crevasses and down in the cavity. I used a five gallon bucket and took the bottom shelves and drawers out of the fridge to keep it cold.

I used a brine mixture (lots of salt dissolved in water) then a gal bottle of apple cider, poultry spices (and probably anything else that was in my cupboard that was handy! lol! like a chicken and poultry mix by McCormic, garlic, etc.) then left him to soak, rotating him occasionally.

When you take him out, you rinse the majority of the salty brine off, then proceed as usual. It really was moist and delicious.

my niece, who was 10 and eats like a bird..(peck peck peck)... sat up at the table and ate three whole slices of breast meat, and declared it the best turkey she'd ever had! lol!

I was also thinking of the deboning... it would make it a lot easier to fit into your oven if you did it that way, as well as into a bucket of briney mixture. then, you could also roll the meat around your dressing and truss it back up. Boneless, it shouldn't take as long to bake. Also, you could use the bones later for soup or whatever, just throw them into the freezer til you're ready to deal with them, or if you decided to brine him, bone him a couple days ahead and cook them for a good broth for use with your dressing, etc. There are instructions online for how to debone. it's not terribly difficult, just takes a bit, and you need a sharp knife. good excuse to treat yourself to a new one! (nobody sharpens knives around here...when my db shows up at holidays, I put him to work!)

Even Halving the bird might make him easier to handle. and I love the idea of doing it two different ways. How about one brined and one injected and fried?? (you send the men out to do the manly fried one...! lol!)

My favorite leftover turkey dishes are King ranch turkey casserole, it's tortillas, turkey, cheese, soup, milk, green onions and green chilis...the green chilis give it such a good flavor! Extra good if there are any olives left, or a bit of diced tomato for the top.

or the broccoli, turkey and rice dish...mmm!

sammi

thanks for the ideas, I wonder if I could brine him in a large cooler, or a new garbage can.

He is a home grown fello. We only have around 15 of us to enjoy him. My husband said our last one was 38# the year before was 42#

I thought of the Turducken, but with all the quilting that needs doing, I don't think i have the time.

God bless,

sue

recruit help! If I were feeding that many people, I think I would ask a handful of them to come help a couple days in advance.

Of course, that's in a perfect world where you don't have to be in two places at once, right?! :P

Maybe you can do a few things to make life easier on you, like using those tin foil type baking pans and not having the clean up?

Build a big - big - big old fashioned oven outside - out of brick....then put the bird in a wheelbarrow and roll it into the oven. You will need to watch it...like make sure it has enough wood in it to keep it cooking....but that should do the trick.

I hope he isn't getting these birds from Sesame Street!! :P

Archived