pieced batting

Hello all,

I have a question that may sound a bit silly but I've looked for the answer in every machine quilting book I have and do not see a reference to pieced batting.

I have on occation had to splice two pieces together and generally use thread with long x type running stitches to butt the pieces together.

Is there a better way (other than using a solid sheet of batting) or is this just the way it is?

Any tricks or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

Beth

Guest Linda S

Beth - when I need to piece batting (which I try to avoid at all costs), I lay it out on my cutting table, overlapping the edge to be spliced about 4-6 inches. I then take my rotary cutter and cut a wavy line down the middle of the overlap (so the splice won't end up along any one seam in the quilt). Once I have removed the excess scraps, I use the big X basting stitches to secure it together. This insures that there is no double-thickness of batting showing up in blotches in the quilt, and also (as said above) keeps that seam in the batting away from any one seam in the quilt top.

Linda

Hi Linda,

That's one way I've done it too but I just found it so curious that there is no mention of this in any book or web site I've looked at.....

I've been quilting since 10th grade so that would be let see 1979.....my that's along time. Sewing since I was 8 and sure felt funny in my early 20's trying to go to quilting guilds when I was the youngest one there. Thank goodness I live in Seattle now where great quilt shops and books are published. I sure spent years doing things the old fashion way, ripping all my strips and had a huge wooden quilting frame held together with "c" clamps and muslin sleeves so I could hand quilt (my Dad thought I was nuts when I asked to put pullies in the celing of my bedroom to hoyst this thing out of the way but he was great!).

The closest cool fabric store in my home town was Greenbaums (Salem, OR) and years later turned in to a quilting hot spot.....not the case in the 70's and 80's.

Thanks for your response and positive input!

Beth

I have a wide splicing stictch on my DSM, sort of a zig to the left out from the middle then back, then a stitche down the center, then a zag out to the right and then back. This stitch is nice because it relieves the pressuse of a regular zig-zag which would want to bunch the batting in the middle of the stitch. I do, ahead of time make air-erasable marks accross both sides, so that one side won't stretch more than the other. Here's what I mean................

post--13461897738798_thumb.jpg

Archived