funny noise ???

HI all! I have been quilting all day and all of a sudden, my machine started sounding funnyl It sounded like the bobbin was loose or something. I checked the bobbin and all was well. It kept doing it, so I double checked my stitches front and back and again, all is well. I decided to pull my machine off the quilt and give it a good cleaning and a new needle. All oiled up and stitching just fine, but I still have this rattling noise from the bobbin area. I had the sound even when I took the acutal bobbin casing out. DH looked over it, cleaned it again, but the noise is still there. Should I not worry about it since it is stitching ok? Any body had this before? thanks!! linda

Linda,

I had this similar thing happen to me and I phoned APQS to ask and they told me that I needed to repack the grease in my machine. They sent me the grease free of charge but charged me shipping. My DH repacked the greasebox and all is well again.

Hope this helps.

Shannon

Linda,

How old is your machine? Best thing is to call APQS Service and have them listen to the sound over the phone - they can usually tell you exactly what's happening. If your hook area is nice and clean and properly oiled, then there's probably nothing to worry about.

Sometimes I get a rattley sound in my bobbin area, too. When this happens, I remove the needle plate and blow out the area from above. I try to spend a minimum of 1 minute (sometimes 2-3 minutes) blowing out my bobbin case. I even take the thread out of the needle eye and run the bobbin (slow speed) while blowing out. I see little fluffs and chunks of stuff fly out so I know things live in there that get stuck and need to go! Then I lay out a towel on the floor beneath and while the machine is running at its lowest speed, I give the machine a real good bath in WD40all around and let it spin slowly out, then for good measure, I squirt more in there real good so it's oozing and dripping. Then I stop the machine and dab it out with a small hand towel (paper towel) and I repeat the same steps above with the machine oil. Then I let the oil drip down from the top of the bobbin area as the machine is running slowly. And I oil the hook area, too. This usually gets rid of the rattley sound for a while. I live in a dry climate so I do this routine when the noise starts up again.

Yes Ma'am! :)

Remember that WD 40 is a solvent and used for cleaning out gunk and build up that gets stuck inside the moving metal parts. While the machine is running slow, I squirt liberally with WD 40 from the top and also squirt liberally in the bobbin basket area then I let it spin slow, then let it drip out and wipe with towel and repeat with little drops of machine oil from the top area where it spins, and also in the hook area. Then I let it drip and wipe it out with a paper towel. It purrs like a kitten. :)

Remember it's important to always follow up the WD40 with a few drops of machine oil in the bobbin area.

Linda.

It is most likely an air pocket in the gear box, like the others have said. An air pocket can get trapped in there while the grease is being packed in and over time it works its way into just the right spot that it starts to make a growly sound. Repacking is easy, although it does require you to take the head off and turn it upside down. It doesn't hurt the gears for you to keep quilting.

Call Amy in the morning and have her listen to it. She will know just by the sound. She will also send you very detailed instructions on how to repack it along with the right grease.

Shana your cleaning regiment is good. If you are just getting rattley on occasion and it goes away, then it probably isn't an air pocket. Although, AMY would be the best one to tell you this.

Your bobbin inside the case can rattle at times too. Now if you take out the bobbin case as Linda did and still get the noise, then it could be. The sound is more of a growling that doesn't go away with oiling the hook area.

I'm with everyone else. Call Amy to be sure, but I bet you've got an air pocket in your grease. I've had to pack mine twice now, and also, getting used to that sound. Be sure and have someone at APQS listen to make certain, then if that's it, they will send you the grease. You can continue to quilt until the grease arrives, but will have to turn up the stereo. It sounds scary, but you can do this. They'll also give you complete instructions on taking the head off the table, opening up the box, packing in the grease and then closing things up again. A second pair of hands is helpful, but you can do this, and then you'll feel so smart for having done it!

Keep us posted please.

I had a funny noise develop in my Millie last week. It was a strange rattling noise. I took the cover off of the motor and found that the tie block that holds the cable to the IR plug on the top back side of the machine and come loose. The connector in the cable was hitting the side of the machine causing the rattling noise. I took a piece of Gorila tape and taped the cable to the motor. The noise is gone and Millie is humming again.

I hope this helps.

Chuck

Well, I called APQS today and Christy said it sounded like the gear box thingy!! they are sending grease!!:D I can still quilt though while I'm waiting on it. This is a good thing!!:) Christy, If you are reading this, Thanks a million!! You could even tell from the sound even with my phone getting ready to die!! You're good!! Thanks again to everyone who gave me ideas!! linda

Aren't they just the best at APQS? The first time I heard that noise I thought it was so weird to be calling 1/2 way across the states at 7:30 in the morning and holding a phone up to my machine. My thought was that they couldn't possibly hear and diagnose it over the phone! However, I was proved wrong yet again! Happy quilting until the grease arrives, and then even happier quilting!

Archived