Strengths/Weaknesses

gable428

My strengths Circle Lord and pantos. I love to see where I can put the CL designs that a little out of the ordinary. Challenge myself with half a feathered wreath, or cross hatch where I shouldn't :) Pantos - I thought everyone could stitch a panto so I never thought of it as a strength. But everytime I am with Jeanne she tells me I am great at pantos :o What is so great....you take your laser and try to stay as close to the little line as possible. If you go off the line....who is going to know? :o

My weakness....quilting :P:D Sometimes I just run completely dry....no ideas....especially when everything that comes through the door is custom and there are just no more ideas coming out of my brain.

Well being a Newbie, I have the advantage of not being good at anything yet. So, when you don't have any strengths or weaknesses yet, the whole quilting gammet lays ahead of you to explore. Being new at something sometimes is a blessing, because we attempt things that we don't know any better than to try. Just like when I first started quilting I attempted alot of hard things that I didn't know any better than to try. For instance my first quilt was a sampler. Okay you say that was pretty easy I did alot of different blocks, pieced, applique, set in seams, etc. I didn't think it was too hard so my next quilt was one that I always loved. My daughter was getting married and I thought, well now that I know how to quilt I can make a "Double Wedding Ring" ! So I did, I didn't know that this was not a beginners quilt. Oh well, I am glad that I made it because it is now on my "been there done that" bucket list.

I never want to make another but it came out pretty good considering I didnt' know what I was doing. So I am eagerly looking forward to learning all of the above mentioned types of quilting. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Jeanne

Lots of great answers! My favorite pantos are from Willow Leaf Studios and Urban Elementz. I also love doing the Circle Lord, but unlike Mary Beth, I can't figure out how to do a half feather wreath! I guess it's all a matter of practice practice practice to be good at everything:)

Even in quilting my mouth is my weakness. Those words just spill out..

My strength, is freehanding a custom, when given an idea.. like grass around the bottom of a barn, or a bee in a flower.. or?? um yeah.. stuff like that. water gushing over rocks in a stream, mud puddle in a country path.

don't get a lot of options to quilt like that, so I do it on practice pieces with gobbledy gook.

RitaR

Geez...I don't think I have a strength! Well, i can use my Circle Lord, and can do Pantos, but what I REALLY want to do is freehand and feathers and, naturally, I stink at them!

Today I was doing some PPP and while frogging, stuck the seam ripper DEEP into the tip of my thumb...OUCH! Time to go eat ice cream and feel sorry for Remedial Level quilter, ME!

I do not like pantos because I am not good at them. I'm uncomfortable behind the machine (too fat) and I can't control my stitch length good enough to do pantos well. I am going to have to do some though, it looks like.

I love freehand, especially coming up with my own designs to fill the spaces. I tend to look at things very geometrically, so I like filling each area to make it stand out.

I am finding that I really like ruler work, too; but I don't get paid enough to do it.

My favorite is to take something with lots of piecing and do SID around all the piecing. It really makes it stand up and be noticed.

My weakness is I like a lot of quilting, probably too much. THose of you who have seen my stuff know I like to play with thread textures and colors (at least on my own stuff). I tend to overdo the quilting.

My goal is to make a really nice colored pencil wholecloth (Irena Bluhm style) and to piece tops for my sister, my mother and myself. Plus I need to finish my birthday block quilt, my friendship block quilt, and my Christmas block quilt.

Strengths: flowing, freehand Feathers; Circle Lord - I love this tool!! It makes my quilting look pretty darn good!

Weaknesses: rulerwork (wish there was a hands-on class), pantos (Cannot get a smooth flowing look to the ones I've tried - mostly Hermione Agee (sp) and some of those are pretty simple.)

Archived