Hints for new owners

Hi Everyone

My machine won't be here til Jan 23 or 24th but I've a ton of questions to ask.

I bought only the machine to start with because I don't know anything about the panto or how they work. I'd really love to have some to start off with, so can you suggest which ones are most popular and to buy?

Stencils...don't have any of those either or even know how to use them. I know there's millions of them out there, my biggest concern is how do I use them? Do I put them onto the top and use a marker of some kind to transfer the design? If so, which is the best marker to use?

The expansion bar, I don't know what it is or how it works but I was told to get it with my machine, so I did. What's it for and how do I use it?

Paper stencils or templates....do these exist or will I be a new designer of them? :>))) I'd like to have a paper stencil that has a little stickiness around the edges, so that I can place it over a block and stitch thru it....possiblly even use it a few times if I'm careful with it.....is there something like this on the market? I can see it being very useful for motifs on large blocks.

Hope these don't sound too dumb and that someone can help me out. :^)

Thx

Rita

Rita,

The biggest hint I can give you is breathe :) We were all there once. In my case not too long ago... Your machine will come with a few pantos and stuff. I don't claim to know much (I've only had my machine since April)and there are SO MANY great resources on this forum, but just try what comes with the machine, see what you like to do, then try a toy that looks interesting, some will work for you, some won't. But be sure there is always someone out here who has probably already "been there done that and got the t-shirt to prove it" Above all remember to HAVE FUN in your new adventure

Leslie

You should have received a video or dvd to introduce you to your machine...is it an APQS machine? I think we have video's on line that you can check out...if you went to a show, you were given a bag of goodies...APQS was so generous when we were shopping for machines.

Start reading. There are books out there on Longarm Quilting. Start calling your Small Business Association to talk to a cousellor about workshops and classes. Start your business plan. Go to your quilt shops and check out your competition. What are their specialties?

Oh, yes...breathing is very important. If you work at home, you could pass out at your machine...who would do mouth to mouth?

Cynthia

You should get a panto or two with the machine. I got Kerry Emersons "Double Plume" and it is one of my favories. I have found one of the keys to a good panto application (even though I not a big panto-pusher) is getting the quilt on straight.

Get ready with a big muslin sandwich and have some fun! Don't skimp on thread quality, even wqhen practicing, it will make you crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hibagredly

Hello Rita,

I got my machine 2 weeks ago & love it. It came with 2 roll patterns. I started with the easier one then used the double plume mentioned above & i loved the 2nd one more. The machine also comes with a starter kit that has needles & thread. Now when i 1st started I put old bed sheets to practice & would try to do lines & circles etc. The thread broke a lot the 1st day then i got the hang of it & it would break once a day & now very rarley. You can check out my webpage for pictures of me assembling my Mille (no name yet).

What i have to tell you is follow the manual, be calm, position the plexiglass tops with the masking tape towards the back of the machine & remove only the masking tape not the clear tape! (you don't want to know what happened!).

On the 2nd week i ordered Darlene Epp's 2 books & Nichole Webb's basic freehand quilting & those two helped me a lot with quilting especially the DVD because you can see how she does it & how fast & the stitch length etc. Practice a lot on a white board or buy a packet of copy paper & a very finr pen & keep practicing after you get the DVD & books.

I also advise you to get Linda Taylor's Ultimate guide to Machine quilting. She tells of a way to follow patterns with your laser point to quilt in a block instead of stencilling them. Now that worked with me with some open feather designs & loopy designs but not with a feathered heart but I know that I need a lot of practice to be able to do that. or maybe i can try freehanding it after drawing a circle instead of moving the laser over the feathers. Linda Taylor's book also tells how to center pantos & make some custom panto edges etc. great book.

Buy a lot of batting when your local fabric/ quilt shop has a sale so you can use it for practice. I've already went through 3 practice sheets! I loved the following threads: Sew fine, Rainbows & King tut which came with the machine. The sew fine is the best for heavy quilting because it's ..well.. so fine! The rainbows is great but i felt bad about using a lot of it for practice so I'm keeping it for my sons quilt when i get the nerve to quilt a real quilt. The king tut is beautiful but thick so it shows beautifully.

My zippers arrived at last & I added them yesterday. I basted the quilt top & backing on my domestic machine. & loading was very fast.

what else? Make sure to level your machine & check it periodically. Make sure that you clean the bobbin area & oil it as shown on your starter CD when the thread breaks. Keep the APQS phone # on speed dial as Connie helped me a lot with stupid things;)

Have fun& good luck.

Heba Greadly

http://community.webshots.com/user/HebaGredly

Hi Heba

What awesome advice you gave! I printed off your msg, so I can read it periodically and keep myself stable. :>)

When you say bulk batting...what kind of batting did you use to practice on? I have several bags of poly batting and a couple rolls of Hobbs W&N. I guess I should probly use the poly one.

As for old sheets, I honestly didn't think I would ever own a longarm even tho I've dreamed of it for the last 10 years, so last year I gave all my old sheets to the Women's shelter. I'm going back...maybe I can get them back or perhaps the Thrift Shop will have some for me to practice on.

How did you attach the zippers onto the leaders? It seems to me that you'd have to remove the leaders, then sew the one half of the zipper to it......am I wrong?

Did you take a training course yet or will you be? I"m hoping to take Darlene Epp's course Mar 22 to 25th. I can hardly wait! Gotta get lots of practice in first.

And about circles...can you already sew a circle? I tried this morning and couldn't make a circle to save my soul. They all had flat sides cause the machine tends to follow the track backward in a staight line rather than sew in a curve. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong or need practice. :>)

Rita

Archived