Does a computerized system REALLY save time?

Darlene Epp

I'm asked this question all the time. My answer is YES!

I just finished 8 intricate 6" block inserts, and buried all the ends in 20 minutes. That's 2.5 minutes per block, start to finish.

When I teach block inserts in my training workshops, it takes an average of 10-12 minutes to find the center of the block. align the pattern correctly, stitch a simple design (HOPING you can stay on the lines!), and then bury the ends, assuming you end up at the same place you started (I have a tip for this).

40 blocks done, 8 more to go. Then I start on the setting triangles. :)

Hi Darlene. I ordered Quilt Studio and will be getting it very soon. My main reason for ordering it was too save time and be able to multitask so your post is encouraging. I'm looking forward to getting it and learning all about computerized quilting.

I was looking at your web site and really like some of the motifs you have digitized for CQ.

Debbi

Hi Debbi,

Digitizing is.........interesting, fun, addictive, and getting more and more complicated as more new systems come out, all with their own "formats" and intricacies and preferences.

The great thing about QuiltStudio is that it will read several of the other formats already on the market, and it's based on Windows Visio, which I'll be able to tell you more about after my trip to Iowa next week! :)

BTW, all the setting triangles are finished. Now I'm trying to decide whether to leave the little 1" squares in the 9-patch blocks alone. The purpose of the quilts (yes, 2 of them!) is for extra "bed warmer" throws, so I need to leave some "poof" to trap body warmth, but oh,,,,,,,the tempation to quilt it to death! LOL

I used the Budding Ferns Block #2 and adapted it for all the setting triangles. Will post pics after next week.

I agree!

Computerized quilting saves time quilting the designs out and they are perfect! I love the way I can use my system and do perfect work, especially when it comes to doing many motifs on a quilt top. I currently have the CQ too, however I do see QuiltStudio in my near future too! Darlene I can hardly wait for you to come back from your trip and tell us more! Take pictures too! Computerized quilting is alot of fun.

Hi everyone

I'm waiting too! After playing with Quilt Studio at Houston and seeing some of the things it can do - I'm so excited.

This whole thread started off with "Does a Computerised System Really Save Time" - well with Quilt Studio the answer is most definitely YES. With Quilt Studio's tablet PC which is wirelessly connected to the Milli head, you can be quilting out a block and designing the next one while the first is stitching. I don't think any of the other computerised systems are able to do this! Way to go Quilt Studio.

Sue in Australia

Archived