Nead ideas

Hi Merete...

You're probably not going to like my answer....I took a class with Karen McTavish this summer and the question came up on how to quilt a Dear Jane ( kind of similar to this quilt! ). Her answer was this ~ the piecer took a lot of time making this quilt so it should be quilted with respect to that...she suggested SID the piecing....but make sure you get a good wage for doing it! I'd talk to my customer about it and see if she wants it done like this and is prepared to pay.

It sure is a beauty...let us know how you make out with it!!!

Sandra

Merete,

I would find out from your customer what they would like done on this top...if this top is hand pieced it has taken the maker a long time, effort and energy to put it together. I am hand piecing diamond blocks similar to this and I already know that once I am finished piecing my top it will have to be all SID for the quilting.

The top is beautiful. Let us know what you end up doing.

Wow, That's quite the quilt. It looks like a lot of time and effort went into it. I think it calls for custom quilting with each block being handled individually. I would start with stitch in the ditch just to tack it down. Please make sure to post pictures when you're done.

Dianne

This looks like Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt from Elm Creek Quilts! You can actually download all the patterns and make it. I forget how many blocks there are in total. Here is the link. http://www.sylviasbridalsampler.com/ I started it but never finished. I think I have around 30 of them made. I just didn't have time to do all of them. It takes a lot of time because each pattern is different. Many of them are paper pieced which I just hate doing. Please don't tell me she wants an e2e! I agree that this calls for SID all the way and I'd probably do feathers in the log cabin blocks. It is just so pretty and boy is it a lot of work.

Hi Merete,

I concur with everyone's advice to do the piecing justice by doing SID-----

-----but, the blocks are small and the components of the blocks are tiny!

If your customer balks at custom pricing (I would charge 7 cents an inch or more to SID that top) offer her some invisible quilting--SID around each block and place the same block-filling design over each block and use fine thread in a neutral color or even Monopoly if you can get some.

I can hear howls about invisible thread on this oh-so-traditional top, but she brought it to a longarmer so she may be OK with a more modern approach.

I agree with Heidi's suggestion to put feathers in the log cabin blocks. That would be very pretty.

We need pictures of the finished quilt please!!

SID It speaks to me about as well. I can't see someone taking all this time and not having it custom quilted. I actually am surprised with this much effort that she is not hand quilting it. That would be my first choice and then SID as a 2nd. If she doesn't want to pay that price then she should consider like someone said a more traditional baptist fan type of quilting. Jeanne

Wow! Great advice from everyone.

Merete, I look at each quilt block is a tiny jewel or a sparkly diamond. It's so lovely; so special. I know you will do a beautiful job with the quilting. Please share photos of the completed quilt. It may take a long time to quilt, but it's a good challenge for you to learn more and improve on your skills and technique.

If you choose to SID, I would stablize the entire quilt by stitching across each row (horizontal) along the sashing and move down through until you get to the bottom. Then stitch all the rows vertical. After all the blocks are stitched on the outside edges you can work the inner details for each block.

SID can be long and tedious but the blocks are tiny and may go quickly with a little ruler that fits in your palm. Use invisible thread in the top and bobbin. It may go faster than you think. Don't SID each tiny small piece in each block. Instead, if you wish to, first SID around the outer motif for each block and perhaps a few parts inside the motif. That might be enough since each block is so tiny.

Do you have a chair you can sit and work while you quilt?

What type of batting? What is the back? I hope the batting is medium loft to show off the SID and that the back is solid or semi-solid so you have two quilts in one when finished.

Enjoy the process. :) You will do a wonderful job and serve it the special touch it deserves.

Shana

wow it is beatiful. I agree with everyone about SID and if she doesn't want to pay the price then a Baptist Fan, clam shell or swirls. I had a quilt that cried for custom but they didn't want to pay and I ended up with the BF and it turned out better than I could have hoped for and they were thrilled.

Archived