Bobbin tension too tight

Amy, thank you for such a wealth of info. I'll pay more attention to my threading next time. I thought I'd done everything right (I've been sewing for about 40 years no) but then perhaps I'm getting a little careless and over confident. :)

The weekend is coming up so I'm going to do homework on the different types of thread/bobbins and tension and make notes. If I have more problems and can't figure them out I'll be calling or emailing you.

Rita

Rita,

I have an occasional break in my top thread when I'm using Bottom Line, usually when I'm working out my tension issues. But I just finished a twin-size top, cream colored BL on top and in a prewound bobbin, and I only had one break. It wasn't heavily quilted, but I did go through several bobbins. I really like Bottom Line on top - and I just LOVE the BL prewound bobbins. I don't remove any of the sides - just use 'em as is. I DO throw away any prewounds that don't feed smoothly - get one or two in a half-gross box of bobbins.

Hope you have a good weekend of playing with all those thread combinations!:P

Rita, is the guy's name Ron Paul... is this the name you are trying to remember? Also just wanted to tell you a "lightbulb" moment for me. This year at MQS in May, Bob Purcell, the thread guy, said that a majority of our tension problems are caused by the machines tension being too tight in bobbin and in top. So, when I got home, I started losening my bobbin tension to the "spider drop" so it slides slowly and steady/even speed like a spider would drop on a web. After that, I would say this is "perfect" for bobbin. THEN---then only adjust your TOP tension until your stitches on top and bottom look good. Adjust top knob only.

This piece of advice from Bob Purcell was the best advice. Ever since May 2008 I have been smooth sailing with my tension. I use all types of threads in the top and mainly Bottom Line in the bobbin. I very rarely ever have issues with top thread breaking or tension problems. I keep my bobbin area squeaky clean with regular WD40 baths, keep the hook oiled, and blow out my bobbin area after every bobbin change. My Madeline purrs as happy as can be.

Rita -- here are a few things that work for me --

BottomLine is a very fine thread -- 60 wt -- some machines have a lot of difficulty using BottomLine; however, APQS machines run BL very well. I use two of the holes on the first 3 hole thread guide. BL creates a lot of "bounce" so you need more control of the thread. I have not added any extra thread guides to my machine. I loaded some fabric and had someone else run the machine and I studied the thread path with different threads. I am still doing this to work on tweaking my thread paths.

I am experimenting with the pre-wound bobbin sides. Sometimes I take off both of the sides, sometimes one side and sometimes I leave both on the bobbin. I have found that the new "white shiny" bobbin sides on the the pre-wounds react differently than the regular brown cardboard ones. I have found if I use a little sandpaper and rough up one shiny side it helps with the over spin.

I have three machines and I think eack one prefers the bobbin a different way. My Millie works better with with the bobbin with only one side. The Freedom prefers both sides and on my Ultimate I, IK am trying different things. I have not had it very long so I am still playing with it.

The best advice is not to be scared of the machine and playing with the bobbin and the tension. There are so many things that affect tension. Try and take a day and just play. I know it is easier to "say" than to "do." But when I did it my stress level was reduced by at least half.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I know a lot about thread and make sure you read Dawn's posts.

Sandra

Archived