Wavy cutting board

I had placed my laptop ontop of my cutting mat and used it there for a while, when I went to take my laptop off I realised just the heat from the laptop warped my mat. While the mat was still warm I placed my "Encyclopedia of pieced quilt patterns" by Barbara Brackman and a whole lot of other quilting books ontop of it and left it to sit and cool off. The next day I took the books off and my mat was as good as before, no warp. My advice would be to warm/heat it up somehow and place something heavy on it to flatten it out again. Worked for me, hopefully it will for you too. I see Neher-in-law5 just posted the same advice.

You might want to call the local custom picture frame shop and ask if they have a heat mounting press.

This thing has big plates that warm up, and are thermostatically controlled, and they use them to flatten photos, posters and those kinds of things, and mount them with a special adhesive paper. Kind of like a panini grill, but big.

What they might be able to do is put the whole mat in there, clamp it down on a VERY low setting, then shut the machine off and let it cool with the mat still in there so it cools under that pressure.

It's worth a try. If I still worked at the frame shop, I'd try it for ya!

If it were warm out, I'd try slapping it between two pieces of plywood and clamping it, and leave it in the car in the sun for a while.

Knock on wood, I've never done this to a mat. I know a gal that left her brand new BIG mat in the car. I don't know how anyone kept from KILLING someone that ironed on their mat!

:(

Archived