how do you decide what fabrics to buy for your stash?

Robin,

My fabric shoppe here in town carries a great assortment. I am on my way to pickup yesterdays order. She is wonderful and has even called me this morning telling me I didn't pick out enough reds so I said pick 'em out and cut me some of those too. The reds in the collection are G O R G E O U S this year.

I look at it this way: no caffine, no nicotine, no calories,

no fat, no sugar, no etc. My husband says if it makes me ,happy, then enjoy. I enjoy buying, planning the project, looking at the project on the shelf, finally get moving, then can't find one of the planned pieces. All fun. Have a happy holiday...;);)

I have to agree with Helen G from Saskatchewan, what was a wonderful fabric when purchased, turns into a "what the heck was I thinking of" fabric 10 years later. Unless I have the pattern and the fabric in one tote, it's a blurry llne years down the road. However, I have to say that I am thrilled, in these tight times, that I can merrily sew for years on what I've accumulated so far. I used to purchase 3 meters of all fabrics that I liked, and then for a while, I always bought 6" of every fabric that came into our LQS. Now I'm so happy if I can sew something us and use some of these fabrics that are keeping my walls insulated. Hugs and Smiles from BC. Marion

14 yards! wow, i thought I was a serious stasher. I was buying a yard, but found I always need more for a nice border, so now If I love something I buy 3 to 5 yards. I have Ikea:P baskets divided in colors but now they are full, so now I'm stuffing anywhere I can find a spot,,, someday to sort and label. Maybe even sew.... ha ha, I made a funny.... :P:P

Guest Linda S

When I see a fabric I really like, I generally get 3 yards of it and then three or four coordinating fabrics. I'll buy 1-2 yards of each of those. I figure that is what a lot of my queen sized patterns call for, and some day, I'll match those fabrics to a pattern and go for it. I am mostly a Moda girl -- prefering the designs from Fig Tree Quilts, Holly Taylor, and Three Sisters. Moda fabrics always seem to be so soft and have such a nice hand. I just can't resist. I probably have enough fabric to make about 50 quilts. Well, maybe a little more than that. All gets washed the minute it comes in the door. Hot water and retayne. Wash out the harsh chemicals, retain the colors.

Linda

I like to get about 3 yds or more, if it will work with different designs or backing or sashing.

Hey, I went to Wal-Mart and Fabric section here is closing department and had started with 25%OFF. Now is is 50% OFF

They are closing out by the 1st of January. Don't know if that is all or just here or in stages.

I got great deals on some tonight. 20yards for 33.00 . Mummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm more stash. :P;)

I see some of you buy Joann's and Walmart fabric - Do you mix these with the LQS fabrics also? If you do, do you find a difference in the way they wash or fade?

I love Batiks, usually buy 1/2 - 1 yd cuts. Like others 3 or more yds if I really like it and will use as focus and/or borders.

Originally posted by JoleneK

I see some of you buy Joann's and Walmart fabric - Do you mix these with the LQS fabrics also? If you do, do you find a difference in the way they wash or fade?

If you buy the higher end of JoAnn's fabrics you will see that they often have the same fabric that is already in a LQD....as far as WalMart Fabrics, yes sometimes they do feel a bit thinner than better quality fabrics, but they seem to hold their color as long as you aren't washing them in the hottest of waters, and it doesn't hurt to through some retayne in as well.

I have been buying Amy Butler fabrics lately for clothing I make with Indygo Junction patterns. Any scraps I figure can be used for quilting. O.K., Lila Tueller also.

I also love linen, velvet and silk. I have a pattern for a Cathedral Window quilt that would look beautiful in silk and velvet. I like to add tonal batik to my stash knowing it will always be used. I returned to quilting after a 5 year hiatus and found I didn't like my stash anymore. I used it up at my daughter's school last year, and gave some away until I had left what I think of as "timeless stash". Now I only add 1930's, tonal fabrics, silk, reproduction civil war, old fashioned floral and fabrics that I may not grow tired of in 5 years time. I have an ancient dolly quilt made by my great grandma with civil war fabrics that still looks current. Fabrics like these with staying power are what I con myself into. The Amy Butler stuff I get away with by telling myself they are for useful clothing. I bought the "Funked Out Peasant Blouse" pattern from Lila Tueller online the other night with the coordinating Moda "Woodland" fabric line. If you buy quilting fabric for clothing somehow it all becomes justified.

Then if you make it and it looks terrible, you can chop it up for a quilt and congratulate yourself on your frugality.

I think I will go finish my shirt now...

Mimi:P

Archived