help with cross hatching

Have a couple of minutes to post a cry for help. I have a lone star to quilt this weekend. the customer wants the whole thing cross hatched. no CC. so I have Linda's rulers and my CL template but I am lost at how to make this work. also have color changes in it, doesn't that sound like fun:D

Thanks in advance for any advice. You all are th best

Hi Bekah,

I am confused--the Lone Star should have diamonds at lots of different angles as they radiate out from the center. She wants you to crosshatch the whole thing, even though the 45 degree crosshatch will conflict with the angles of the diamonds?? Or does she want crosshatching only on the background?

All-over crosshatching will be --how shall I say--ugly? Too blunt??

The Topper rulers will work since you can work across the whole stitching field and then advance--you will have starts and stops of course, but that is unavoidable no matter what you use to stitch. Put a piece of tape on the bottom of the ruler to mark your spacing or use a blue marker to just put a tick mark at the very beginning. As you advance, needle down three stitches back from the end and snug the ruler up to the hopping foot. That will keep your spacing accurate down the quilt top. I would start and stop in a seam, of course, to make them less noticeable. Maybe try Monopoly or a very neutral Bottomline thread and then there will be no need for color changes.

Hope you can figure it all out--and let us know what you decide so we can copy you in the future!!

I am trying to breath right now, so much work to do at work and then 3 quilts left to get done by next weekend and one of them is this fun project. she wants the entire quilt crosshatched, No continuous curves she wants the cross hatching to match the star seams, which of course are not even to say the least. there is a 10 inch blue border that is to be done in blue, then a 3 inch white border and on the top and bottom a border of left over star diamonds and then the star. the big corner squares are not the same size, and it is a nightmare, I ahve already BSSM to just load the thing. at first she only wanted something very simple so I gave her a simple price. Oh well, good practice huh. Linda I will probably use your rulers because I cannot imagine cross hatching this beast with the CL from behind.

thanks for your words of encouragement and please breath for me this weekend just in case I forget to.:P

Archived