ideas on machine applique Christmas quilt please?

Very happy quilt, if you do quilt thru the stabilizer and it's one of the heavier ones you may need to clean your needle during the quilting. I've had the glue build up on the needle so I used an alcohol wipe to clean it off in between applique pieces and changed it when I was done.

If all the applique are satin stitched you can do a small background fill like tiny meander or McTavishing to make the applique pop. Holly vines and berries would look great in the border and maybe some cc'ing in the colored squares. I love quilting Christmas quilts and adding little details like bows in the corner and light bulbs, I use chalkboard chalk to draw them and then vacuum it off the top.

Ribbons and Holly would be cool! ;)

I don't know how big the appliques are, but it looks like they could be large enough that you should put some quilting in them. Especially with the stabilizer in them, they will pop up and look 'fake' if you don't. (Ask me how I know! ;-)

Your machine will go through the stabilizer/fusible so that is not a problem, but as others have suggested, you may have to clean your needle.

Have fun. It looks like a very fun quilt to work on.

Archived