Dog blankie

Here's a Christmas present idea for all the dogs in your life. My dog Jack likes to sleep on the bed. Last year I found a several yard long piece of heavy flannel and folded it in half to place where he sleeps and protect the quilt from his big ol' toenails. A few weeks ago, I started practicing Suzanne Earley's feather meander on paper until I was comfortable enough to try it on a quilt. That's the pattern I used on the donation quilt I posted about a couple of days ago. That turned out so well I decided to quilt Jack's blankie. It looks so much better now than it did as a giant rag with frayed edges, don't you think? He seems pleased with it too, and my quilt is safe!:D

post--13461900818385_thumb.jpg

How sweet those two dogs are. Would love to see Jack curled up on his blankie.

I love Suzanne's feather meandering. I keep hoping to get more quilt tops in that I can use the technique on.

Cathey - In the snow doggie post you mentioned being stationed in P'cola. Was your DH Navy? They've moved the OSC up north last year. My son just went through Marine OSC in Quantico, VA this summer. He graduates this Saturday and will be commissioned the following week. He'll stay in P'cola for a couple years for flight school. My DH retires this coming May from the USMC, 30 yrs.

I love the CL swirls on the dog blankie.

The one piece blankie reminded me of an idea I read about last summer on another longarm site. A woman used 2 full size sheets with batting in between and quilted them together and used them on the kid's twin beds. They were very fast, and she said she just threw them in the washer and dryer every week. This made it so easy for they kids to make their own beds by just using a twin fitted sheet on the mattress and the quilted sheets on the top. I guess she just used a coordinating fabric for the binding. Quick and easy and perfect for a kids room or a camper.

I guess you could do the same thing using a wide back, but the kiddie sheets are so adorable, like tinkerbell, etc.

Sandra, I bought several hand dyed fat backs from Christian Lane with the idea of doing wholecloth quilts one of these days. They're only about $40 each, and oh, so pretty. I need more practice, though, before I tackle q full size wholecloth. Or wall size for that matter!

I will try to get a picture of Jack on his blankie, but it won't be easy. He will only get on the bed if I'm in it. The minute my feet hit the floor, he's outta there. Guess I could take my camera to bed with me, or use the iphone camera.

Yes, Jolene, DH was Navy for 20 years, then a commercial airline. He retired one year ago from that and has not missed many days playing golf since. :D

He just knows it's his spot, somehow. He has six pillow beds on the floor in different rooms, and we keep a southwest design flannel sheet on the living room sofa, which he also owns (I remove the sheet for guests). :) But if he didn't know to stay on his bed blankie, I'd train him. He's a quick study, so it wouldn't be difficult. When he is sleeping, his head and shoulders sometimes spill over onto the quilts, but that's okay, as long as his claws don't rip or wear holes in the quilt.

Archived