Webshots

JudyL

How many of you use Webshots or something else for your photo storing?

It's time to renew my subscription and I had planned on not renewing. That's one of the reasons I switched my web hosting to a site where I have more storage. But, then last night I started trying to add photos to the new web page and by the time I messed around with creating thumbnails and trying to upload, I gave up.

Webshots is $25 or $30 a year and while I haven't been terribly happy with their reliability, I'm thinking it's a small amount to spend because it's so easy and quick to upload and it's nice to have all my favorite longarmers' sites bookmarked there.

When I send clients e-mail about proposals on their quilt, I always inlcude links to pictures of similar work I've done that is posted on webshots. About 90% of the time, they tell me they couldn't get to the pictures so I'm not sure it really helps anyone but me but . . what's $25 or $30 a year for some convenience, right?

I wrote Webshots and told them that I was considering not renewing because of the problems and they said they knew . . they correct them as quickly as they can but they're growing so fast, that by the time they get one thing corrected, another problem comes along . . purely from such rapid growth. I guess that's a good problem to have.

What are the rest of you doing with your pictures?

Judy,

I use Yahoo photo and I have not had any problems. I can share the album, limit the access and so on, you can also purchase additional space if required.. I have been quite happy.

Like you I was trying to add them to my web site and frustration prevailed...

Check it out, you can sign up free :D for a small amount of storage and it is a great way to test the waters.

Teri

Judy,

I'm glad you brought this up. I do have photos on my own website, I create thumbnail images on all of them and then upload them. I think it works OK. but every once in a while I get a complaint about being too slow to load - it's via dial-up, usually. It frustrates me because I've tried to 'share' pictures, but then I get feedback they're too big.

I use Adobe Photoshop to create a 'Web' version of my photo. They end up being a fraction of the size they were.

I had just signed up for Webshots the other day! I was going to switch! Now I'm not sure what to do.

Deb

http://www.thequiltdiva.com

In the grand scheme of things, what's $25 or $30/year for webshots? I guess I'll just go ahead and renew. I'm thinking about how many pix I have and how many I add and how long it takes to create thumbnails, resize, etc. and I think I'll just give in and give webshots the $$.

Judy,

I'm interested in *what* about Webshots you were questioning, something about reliability?

Do you upload photos and then they disappear? Or do the URLs change? Or does their website just go down more than it should?

I just signed up for the free service right now, but depending on what you say, I 'll just continue posting my photos on my own website. I use FrontPage, too, and I agree, it's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

seeya

Deb

Webshots has never "lost" any of my pictures or anything bad but it seems that over the past few months, rarely am I able to load my webshots page or anyone else's without getting half the page in red "x"s instead of pictures. Other times, it is so slow loading that it just will not work.

And, when I try to upload more than one picture, it usually takes four or five tries before it all goes through.

I think webshots is experiencing growing pains and they will overcome it but I've been pretty frustrated with them for a while. I've decided to go ahead and renew as they've assured me they have fixed things and are continuing to stay on top of the problems.

• 4 years later...

I'm not familiar with webshots. Is there something that they offer for the money that you can't get for free from other picture storage and viewing web sites like Picasa, snapfish, etc. Here is a URL containing a bunch of picture sharing sites. Maybe one of them will work better.

Also, one suggestion, if the pics seem to be loading slowly you should make sure that you have resized the pics. Most cameras now take pictures that are huge (4-8 mega pixels). If you plan to post them on a web site these are too big and the web sites ahve a hard time displaying them. Before you post them to a web site you should resize them using your editing software. Good sizes for the web are 640x480 px (large) or 448x336px (small). These sizes will load much quicker and look much better.

AB

Webshots now does have free space...you can buy it if you don't want the pop ups to show....otherwise its totally free. and you get a huge amount of space...and you can create your files as you please.

Annie...its www.webshots.com Also you were answering a thread that is almost 5 years old....

Archived