Accuquilt

KerryM

Has anyone out tried the Accuquilt, Go Cutter? Studio Cutter? There is about $200 difference in price, and was wondering what they were like. Worth the money? Santa is coming, and I was thinking I would send my Santa letter soon.

http://accuquilt.com/GO8482-Cutter-C84.aspx

http://accuquilt.com/Fabric-Cutting-System-C6.aspx

Portable is great, takes less space, but if it is not worth saving $200. then I would go to the bigger one.

Maybe there is a better one out there. I just started seriously looking?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Hi Kerry:

I haven't purchased one yet but I watched demonstrations of both the Accucut models at the Houston Show. Portable is a good thing and the big machine does require a dedicated space however, in my opinion the smaller portable unit is not worth the money...there are just not enough dies available for that machine. If you need a die cutting machine, it's because you make LOTS of quilts and that little machine isn't going to cut it. Get it? Cut it?

Anyway, right now I'm using a scrapbooking tool (a die cutter called BIGKICK) to cut fabric shapes but it is not meant for that purpose. When I win the powerball, I'm getting one of the Studio cutters (large size) and a bunch of dies. Hope Santa is good to you! Nancy in Tucson

There was one for us to use at Alex Anderson's retreat last month. The bigger one that is. It was very cool but I wouldn't spend that much money on it.

It took less than 15 minutes to cut out the shapes for a drunkards path quilt. But how many drunkards paths do you want to make?

I have a question about these gadgets, how do you sharpen the dies or machine when the blade that cuts it gets dull?

I mean if you use it to the point that it would be worth the cash that it cost eventually it would loose its sharp edge for cutting, right? A paper cutter will get dull over time won't this tool do the same?

Courious :)

I have the regular AccuCut - not the portable. The dies have blades but they are guaranteed for life and never need sharpening. You do have to replace the plastic that goes on top of the fabric and dies. The system works by pressing on the plastic, fabric and die cutter all at once with a roller system onto the blades. The dies and roller unit are very heavy.

The regular AccuCut system is wonderful for 2 1/2 inch strips - which you want the largest cutter system you can get for the strips. I bought the system with the intention of cutting kits but that has not happened yet - lack of time.

It is well worth the money for the strips for binding - especially if binding is a service you offer your customers. The danger is you can buy a lot of dies you think you need but never end up using.

Several customers of the shop have come in and used the rag quilt dies and love them. I also bought the double wedding ring dies but hadn't had a chance to make a sample.

Hi!

I just traded my Mark IV machine in for the new Accuquilt Studio machine. I was skeptical that it would cut more precisely (sp??) than my Mark IV, but it does!

I run a custom cutting business with it and have customers mail me their fabric and I cut it for them. Several have requested Grandmother's Flower Garden, Dresden Plate, Drunkard's Path, etc. Patterns that require templates seem to be the most requested. I hope to acquire more "dies" for applique after the first of the year. The possibilities are endless (but my checkbook isnt LOL).

I highly recommend this machine.

Rose Hall

www.customquiltkits.com

Lynchburg, Va

Archived