SID on Customer Quilt

Hi!

I have a customer who wants me to do the quilting, but she'll do the SID on her domestic machine. The SID will be in pieced sashing and around the blocks. I don't have a picture yet but I've seen the quilt.

1. Should I have her do the SID first then give it to me?

2. Should I quilt it where I'm supposed to, baste where she's going to SID then give it back to her?

Any advice would be appreciated and THANKS!

Depending on how big the blocks are will depend how it will impact you doing it before or after. I generally SID then go in and quilt but I do all of that before I roll. If I sid and roll without quilting it down I always end up with puckers somewhere, either back or top because the rolling causes some shifting. If she is going to do a lot of SID then you really shouldn't have any problems loading it after she is done. I would make sure I put in writing that you can't guarantee it to be pucker free!

If she is doing the SID for you that sounds great, but will she be able to get the back to lay as flat and smooth as you can get with the LA. I have done many many quilts on my DSM, but I have to honestly say that I glued the beegee's out of them before I did that...when I would pin or try to do that with the three layers flapping in the wind so to speak....I would get major tucks on the back.

I can see where she is trying to cut costs, but she isn't going to cut the headaches for you...there could be some major problems on the back...and like Heidi said, I would make her sign something saying you are not going to be responsible for ANY thing that doesn't go correctly....you could have anything from major tucks to some major D cups that can't be ironed down.

So if you take this, you should cover you hinny in some major way so she can't come back at you and make you redo it for nothing.;)

Looks like the good advice so far is to have you quilt it first and then let her do the SID after.

It will be much easier for her and at least you know if it ends up with tucks on the back, she will have placed them there herself!

I do wonder how she was going to stabilize before the SID if she did it first.

Archived