Should I sand this out?

KathyA

I have a rough area that I'm going to try to explain. I've broken more than a few needles over the past 4 years. The area that is rough is where the needle goes through to the bobbin area. That oval hole has a rough spot on the back, closest to the silly curve on the back of the needle (can't remember the name of the thing). Is it safe to sand this and would I need to remove the parts underneath first to avoid damaging anything else? I was looking for some sanding cording (?) at the hardware store but could not find any. Think someone on the forum had mentioned a product like this.

And yes, I'm getting some thread beakage, if it happens it's always when I stop and I can feel the bobbin thread break.

Thanks.

Kathy,

Yes, you should sand the area out. It may not be the entire source of your thread breakage, but it definitely could contribute. You didn't say what kind of machine you have, but with the Millies, the easiest thing is to take the needle plate off to sand the nick out. The proper tool for the job is emery cord, which is hard to find, at least in my locale. I bought an entire roll of it (should last me through several thousand sanding jobs!:P) and I would be glad to send you enough to last you a long, looong time. Just e-mail me your mailing address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

If you don't want to do that, you can try your local sewing machine repair shops - they might have it on hand.

In a pinch, you can cut thin strips of sandpaper or emery cloth (from a local auto parts store) and use that to sand the nick smooth.

And if I remember correctly, the curvy part on the back of the needle is the "scarf" - obvious, right?:P

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thank you. It's not the needle plate hole that has the nick. It's when I take that off and look down into the hook area. And yes, I'll send you my snail mail address. I've been to Loew's, 2 Local Hardware Stores, Home Depot, WalMart....it's a rare breed for a sanding tool I guess.

I really want to say thank you for your help. The fact that APQS Sales people from all over take time to help us out on this forum says alot about the people that represent this brand. I tell everyone that support is never an issue with APQS. You are all so wonderful.

Have a wonderful holiday.;)

If you are having a hard time locating emery cord - try automotive supply stores - they usually carry emery cloth (not cording). The cloth is nice because you can tear or cut strips and 'thread' them through small spaces like that. It would be easiest, as Barb mentioned, to take the needleplate off so you can access that hole...make sure after you sand the area down that you give the hook assembly a good WD-40 bath and oil it...that grit gets down into the bobbin race and can make a mess of things!

I sent away for the cord to an Industrial Sewing Machine place, seems like I got the info here at the chat, but I sure can't find it now! I will keep looking, though.

Anyone who would like a 2-3 foot length, just e-mail me and I'll send it out. My roll should provide for several hundred of us!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did not need a new hook. I sanded the oval where the needle goes into the bobbin area and all is well. I've had no broken threads since then and on my 4th quilt. What a relief. Thanks again Barbara for the cording and to Amy for the cautionary instructions sent via email.

Archived