applique quilt

I have been getting lots of nine patch and square quilts that everyone simple wants a meander on. I will be doing the crazy nine patch tomorrow that larger than most I get. Many of the smaller quilts are for children and alot of thread isn't wanted so the guilt doesn't become too stiff.

I will be so glad when I get a really good applique quilt to do. I mean as a beginner I am not sure how an experienced quilter feels when handing over such a wonderful quilt they have probly worked on for months possibly years to a beginning quilter. I haven't made my own applique quilt but it looks like I just may have too. Been searching ebay so I could buy one just to give it a try.

Good luck... I quilt applique quilts all of the time. Either meander or do loop d loop with stars or hearts or just loops. I just finished one for my sister's birthday. I don't know how to post a picture or I would try to do so. Good luck...

Just go around the appliques , I don't quilt over the top of the appilques.

Good luck

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Iowa

You could purchase some cheater cloth that resembles applique and practice on that. I get lots of applique quilts and sometimes I have found it necessary to quilt on the applique pieces. Some pieces are so large that quilting them is necessary unless you want them to poof up. I usually outline them at least one time. I try to choose a background filler that suits the quilt. Some look good with contemporary quilting and others require more traditional designs.

Kay

Guest Linda S

You could make some of your own very simple applique quilts. Use a cookie cutter or some of those simple wooden shapes you can get at JoAnn's, put some fusible on the wrong side of the fabric, and cut out the shape. Fuse it to a block and stitch the edge down just in case. Add some sashing and you've got a wonderful little quiilt to practice your background fills, outlining, and sashing treatments on. Just go for it!

Linda

Archived